• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out-Of-State Speeding Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JustAnotherJoe

What is the name of your state? NY (ticket in MA)

I have NY license and insurance. However, I was recently in Massachusetts and on my way back I was stopped by a trooper who said I was going 92 (65 mph zone). He didn't ask me if I knew why he stopped me or how fast I was going, just told me I was going 92 (radar, estimated) and asked for license and registration. He then went to his car and returned 5 mins later giving me a citation for $270. I'm now 21 and this is my first violation so I really didn't know what to do, but from online sources it seems I acted exactly as I should have in order to minimize the consequences (I didn't argue, I didn't admit guilt, I just followed his instructions).

I have a few questions.
1.) I'm really worried about my insurance since it's GEICO and I heard they're really picky about infractions. However, I also read on the NY DMV that NY state does not add points to my insurance for infractions in other states. Does it mean that I don't have to worry about my insurance or will it still get raised? Will my insurance company even find out about this?

2.) NY charges $300+ annual DMV surcharge for next 3 years for infractions, will I get charged this even though the infraction happened in MA?

3.) The citation mentions a $50 head surcharge, but both the speeding box and total mention the same amount ($270), does that mean that the $50 is included in it? He checked the "All Civil Infractions" box.

4.) Almost all online sources say it's worth it to appeal the ticket, but I don't even know what I would say, it's my word against the trooper who has done this many times. If this ticket will not affect my NY insurance, is it even worth appealing? Depending on the court date, I might not even be in Massachusetts then, is it possible to reschedule the court date?

5.) I heard that in Massachusetts there is 20-50% chance that the trooper will not show up to the appeal, but I can't appeal based solely on that. What will I say, "I thought you wouldn't show up"? I noticed that the Agent's License Number & State are missing on the citation (bottom line), also next to offenses there is some number I can't make out, but it looks like 73270... where the ... represent the last 3 digits or letters, does anyone know if this is the number corresponding to the violation type?

You Are Guilty

1.) I'm really worried about my insurance since it's GEICO and I heard they're really picky about infractions. However, I also read on the NY DMV that NY state does not add points to my insurance for infractions in other states. Does it mean that I don't have to worry about my insurance or will it still get raised?
DMV points are not the same as "insurance points" (the scale by which they judge you when determining your rates). Even if you plead guilty, you would get 0 DMV points on your NY license. I don't think anyone other than GEICO can tell you what they would do about the ticket.
Will my insurance company even find out about this?
While my crystal ball is cloudy, my tarot cards say "maybe".
2.) NY charges $300+ annual DMV surcharge for next 3 years for infractions, will I get charged this even though the infraction happened in MA?
No (see answer to #1 for the reason why).
3.) The citation mentions a $50 head surcharge, but both the speeding box and total mention the same amount ($270), does that mean that the $50 is included in it? He checked the "All Civil Infractions" box.
No clue. There are usually a variety of "court costs" that you end up paying that are never listed on the ticket. You can try contacting the clerk of the court listed on the ticket and asking as to a breakdown of the various fees. Anyone else would just be guessing.
4.) Almost all online sources say it's worth it to appeal the ticket, but I don't even know what I would say, it's my word against the trooper who has done this many times. If this ticket will not affect my NY insurance, is it even worth appealing?
"Worth it"? Dunno. Are you a millionaire? Do you have a trust fund? Are you unemployed? Do you have better things to do with your time? etc., etc...
Depending on the court date, I might not even be in Massachusetts then, is it possible to reschedule the court date?
Usually yes. Contact the court clerk to make sure, and if they agree, make sure you get (or at least send) a letter confirming the change in date.
5.) I heard that in Massachusetts there is 20-50% chance that the trooper will not show up to the appeal, but I can't appeal based solely on that. What will I say, "I thought you wouldn't show up"?
You wouldn't be the first. They still give you the option of pleading guilty if you get there and the officer is waiting for you :)
I noticed that the Agent's License Number & State are missing on the citation (bottom line), also next to offenses there is some number I can't make out, but it looks like 73270... where the ... represent the last 3 digits or letters, does anyone know if this is the number corresponding to the violation type?
Probably a badge number or something similar. The violation number should be somewhere in the upper-to-middle portion of the citation, right next to/under the section that says "violation number".

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">