• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

out of state speeding ticket and court appearance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aalex55

What is the name of your state? VA

I am a resident of Virginia, but received a speeding ticket (37 mph) in a school zone in Illinois. The officer had me sign the citation saying that I would apepar in court even though I had informed him that in addition to being out of state I will also be out of country at that time. He then gave me an envelope with the 3 options of paying the fine, going to traffic school, or requesting a court date and told me to send that in. However, looking at this envelope later, I realized he did not fill out the part of the envelope with his information that is required, and the ticket states I must appear in court. I'm totally confused.

This is my first ticket. What are my options? What will happen if I don't go to court because I am out of the country? Will the fine be accepted even though the ticket states I must appear? Is there the possibility of paying the fine and going to driving school in my home state? Thanks for any help!

lwpat

To find out your options your need to contact the clerk of court. Many states will not allow an out fo state driver to take driving school and the ticket not be reported. If they tell you it is an option be sure to confirm it in writing. You need to contest the ticket since this is a six point ticket in VA and will result in a major increase in your insurance. An attorney may be your best option.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">