• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

out of state speeding ticket in NC, mandatory court day, what to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chicagoerik

What is the name of your state? NC ticket, Illinois residence

I was driving on NC rt 86 north, adn was definately going over the limit, 55 mph. I saw a trooper coming in opposite traffic, and of course i slowed down. trooper stoped, followed my, did not turn his lights untill he was right behind me. he pulled me over adn asked "do you know how fast you were going?" i responeded with "i don't know." he then wrote we a ticket for going 78 in a 55. which included a madatory court date in Yanceyville in may. the trooper said, if i would not go to court, the judge would most likely interpret that as a guilty plea and would suspend my lincence in NC, adn nothing else would happen.
I don't quite belive the trooper, so what are my options? can i write to court, i.e. contest by mail, should i hire a laywer, how much wiould the fine be, how much the lawyer???

any help would be appreciated.

Happy Trails

chicagoerik said:
What is the name of your state? NC ticket, Illinois residence

I was driving on NC rt 86 north, adn was definately going over the limit, 55 mph. I saw a trooper coming in opposite traffic, and of course i slowed down. trooper stoped, followed my, did not turn his lights untill he was right behind me. he pulled me over adn asked "do you know how fast you were going?" i responeded with "i don't know." he then wrote we a ticket for going 78 in a 55. which included a madatory court date in Yanceyville in may. the trooper said, if i would not go to court, the judge would most likely interpret that as a guilty plea and would suspend my lincence in NC, adn nothing else would happen.
I don't quite belive the trooper, so what are my options? can i write to court, i.e. contest by mail, should i hire a laywer, how much wiould the fine be, how much the lawyer???

any help would be appreciated.

You are willing to have your license suspended? You need to go to court and take care of this.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=238821

If convicted, they will suspend you licence in NC which will ripple back to IL.

A lawyer can handle this remotely for you.

Roughly $100 fine, $50 court costs plus $350 to $1,000 for the lawyer depending on you previous record.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">