+ Reply to Thread
    chicagoerik is offline Junior Member

out of state speeding ticket in NC, mandatory court day, what to do?

What is the name of your state? NC ticket, Illinois residence

I was driving on NC rt 86 north, adn was definately going over the limit, 55 mph. I saw a trooper coming in opposite traffic, and of course i slowed down. trooper stoped, followed my, did not turn his lights untill he was right behind me. he pulled me over adn asked "do you know how fast you were going?" i responeded with "i don't know." he then wrote we a ticket for going 78 in a 55. which included a madatory court date in Yanceyville in may. the trooper said, if i would not go to court, the judge would most likely interpret that as a guilty plea and would suspend my lincence in NC, adn nothing else would happen.
    I don't quite belive the trooper, so what are my options? can i write to court, i.e. contest by mail, should i hire a laywer, how much wiould the fine be, how much the lawyer???

any help would be appreciated.
    Happy Trails is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chicagoerik
    What is the name of your state? NC ticket, Illinois residence

I was driving on NC rt 86 north, adn was definately going over the limit, 55 mph. I saw a trooper coming in opposite traffic, and of course i slowed down. trooper stoped, followed my, did not turn his lights untill he was right behind me. he pulled me over adn asked "do you know how fast you were going?" i responeded with "i don't know." he then wrote we a ticket for going 78 in a 55. which included a madatory court date in Yanceyville in may. the trooper said, if i would not go to court, the judge would most likely interpret that as a guilty plea and would suspend my lincence in NC, adn nothing else would happen.
    I don't quite belive the trooper, so what are my options? can i write to court, i.e. contest by mail, should i hire a laywer, how much wiould the fine be, how much the lawyer???

any help would be appreciated.

You are willing to have your license suspended? You need to go to court and take care of this.

[url]http://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=238821[/url]
    Robbie0723 is offline Member
    If convicted, they will suspend you licence in NC which will ripple back to IL.

A lawyer can handle this remotely for you.

Roughly $100 fine, $50 court costs plus $350 to $1,000 for the lawyer depending on you previous record.