• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out of State speeding ticket...not sure what to do.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cltypes

What is the name of your state? Texas, but this issue relates to a speeding ticket I got in Tennessee

I got a speeding ticket about a little over a week ago for going 41 in a 35. This is my first ticket ever, i'm 19 years old, and I have been driving since 16. I received the ticket Sunday night around 8pm, January 20th, in Memphis, TN.

I am attending college in Memphis, my license and insurance and all that stuff is registered in Texas [Austin]. I am worried about my insurance doubling due to 6mph, on a sunday night, when there was no one on the road. Furthermore, the road I received the ticket on had a posted speed of 40, and then all of a sudden it turns to 35. The officer just so happened to be hiding in the alley shortly after it turns into a 35, and I hadn't slowed to 35.

The fine for this ticket is $34. However, it's not the fine that I am worried about, but the effect it will have on my record and insurance. The police officer said that I can take the ticket to court and it will go off my record, but I will have to pay slightly higher (he said $64). I've never really had experience with this, so I don't know if the officer was just telling me junk or what.

My court date (not mandatory) is in March, but the back of the ticket says I have to pay the fee within 15 days. If I pay the ticket, doesn't it mean that I will not be able to take it to court. Furthermore, if I do go to court, what exactly am I supposed to do there (I'm not trying to sound sarcastic or anything...i seriously don't know, since I haven't ever dealt with this).

Does anyone have any advice as to what I should do? I searched around on the internet, and some people were saying to just pay the ticket, because it won't be reported to my insurance or put points on my license since it is out of state.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">