• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out of state Ticket, Class C misdemeanor, what are my options?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

willizm

I am from Illinois. I recently had a family emergency that required me to fly down to Texas and get a rental car for the week. I got a speeding ticket for doing 85 in a 60. The officer did not keep my Illinois license although he did use it to fill out my ticket and get my information. The ticket says that it is a class c misdemeanor. I want to know. If I don't pay the ticket, nor have any intention to go back to Texas in the next few years. Will it be dropped after 2 years of inactivity? A former Texas officer told me that if I don't pay the ticket I would have a warrant for my arrest within the Houston city limits. As long as if I'm not anywhere around Houston or in the vicinity I won't get arrested. Is that true currently? He also said that after 2 years of inactivity the ticket is considered void or something along those lines and my insurance company will not find out about it as there was never a conviction on the ticket. He was an officer about 8 years ago. The other question is that I will also have my license revoked the next time I try to renew it if I don't pay the ticket. It doesn't say clearly that I will have my "Texas" or "my original state" license revoked. I do not have a Texas license btw. I want to know if a state can have another states license revoked. IE. Texas calls Illinois and says Willizm is a bad boy, don't let him renew his license.

Thanks for the help.

P.S. if you want to know why people in Texas drive the speed limit, it's because the ticket is 250% more expensive then in Illinois.

racer72

I know why the officer is a former officer, he does not know the laws very well. Tickets do not drop off any record after 2 years. What will happen if you don't pay the ticket is a warrant will be issued for your arrest. The next time you try to renew your Illinois license, the Texas ticket will show up and you will not be allowed to renew your license. Or worse, you are pulled over for a minor traffic offense and the officer discovers your Illinois license has been suspended. You get a free trip to jail, your car is towed and you get an expensive ticket. Google "States Drivers License Compact", and/or "Non Resident Violators Compact" for a lot more info.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">