• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

out of state traffic violation: points, insurance surcharges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mathematical

What is the name of your state? New Jersey
I got a speeding ticket driving through Indiana. Will the points for this be put on my New Jersey license or will my auto insurance be effected in any way?
Also, I don't think this really matters, but I thought I might also note that I forgot to pay it on time and just got a notice in the mail to pay it or show up in court. Does that make any difference in the consequences other than having to pay late fees?
Any info would be helpful.
Thanks.

The Occultist

Indiana will report the moving violation to New Jersey, and they will decide how to assess points to your license. The best way to figure out how they will do this is to call your DMV and ask them.

Insurance companies operate on their own point system separate from the DMV. When they become aware of your moving violation, they may indeed (and probably will) increase your premium for it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">