• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out of State Traffic Violations, Statue of Limitations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mcnel707

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: I've received a speeding ticket via regular U.S. mail the other day for $92 and it was dated 4/19/1993. I was abused by a boyfriend while living in Chattanooga, TN and drove back to TX all beaten up and a crying & blubbering mess and I don't actually recall receiving the violation and don't know why it's taken 13+ years for them to find me to get it to me and I do recall the address on my license and verified that it's my signature on the ticket and although I've moved several times in the last 13 years I've always forwarded my mail and I haven't even moved recently. I don't receive traffic tickets very frequently at all and I am a legal driver with a very clean driving record. Wondering isn't there some "Statute of Limitations" on traffic violations in the state of Georgia?

You Are Guilty

mcnel707 said:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: I've received a speeding ticket via regular U.S. mail the other day for $92 and it was dated 4/19/1993. I was abused by a boyfriend while living in Chattanooga, TN and drove back to TX all beaten up and a crying & blubbering mess and I don't actually recall receiving the violation and don't know why it's taken 13+ years for them to find me to get it to me and I do recall the address on my license and verified that it's my signature on the ticket and although I've moved several times in the last 13 years I've always forwarded my mail and I haven't even moved recently. I don't receive traffic tickets very frequently at all and I am a legal driver with a very clean driving record. Wondering isn't there some "Statute of Limitations" on traffic violations in the state of Georgia?
There sure is. Unfortunately (for you) the SoL refers to the time in between you committing the act (speeding) and receiving the ticket for it (which apparently was right around the time you got caught speeding). It has nothing to do with the time after that, which means you might want to give them a call and work out a payment plan before they stomp on your credit.

sukharev

If the ticket involves a trial (and you are required to appear), make sure you do get there. If not, and this is just a notice of some sort that you did not show up for trial, then you may have more issues on your hand (like suspended license).

Definitely call the phone number on the ticket, and ask what your options are. It may very well be that all you need is to pay the fine, and forget about it. Be sure to verify if it affected your license or if any points will be assessed (as of now). If yes, then you have to figure out how to appear in court, negotiate with DA/officer/judge, I don't even know how you do that after 12 years. Regardless, call the court, see what your options are and post back, maybe it's not that bad. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">