• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Outta State Fix-it ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alore

What is the name of your state?Colorado

About 10 yrs ago I got a fix-it ticket in California where I was visiting. After getting the headlight fixed and the ticket signed off I proceeded to the court house. Where apon I was told that they cant do anything til court date. Informed them I was heading back to Colorado and they told me that they still cant take my money til the court date. So I didnt worry about it on account that I wasnt probably ever going back to California.

Today I actually got a letter from the Shasta County Court about it saying I owe them $530. My question is what is the statue of limitations on this fix-it ticket?? Or is there one?? I find it ironic that it took them 10yrs to send anything to me when I've lived in Colorado over 10yrs. And all of the sudden they need their money.

Alore said:
What is the name of your state?Colorado

About 10 yrs ago I got a fix-it ticket in California where I was visiting. After getting the headlight fixed and the ticket signed off I proceeded to the court house. Where apon I was told that they cant do anything til court date. Informed them I was heading back to Colorado and they told me that they still cant take my money til the court date. So I didnt worry about it on account that I wasnt probably ever going back to California.

Today I actually got a letter from the Shasta County Court about it saying I owe them $530. My question is what is the statue of limitations on this fix-it ticket?? Or is there one?? I find it ironic that it took them 10yrs to send anything to me when I've lived in Colorado over 10yrs. And all of the sudden they need their money.
Because legislators have not on their own hook addressed these kinds of ludicrous proceedural injustices, there should be a citizens organization formed to get such things eliminated from practice. The public interest and safety are in no way served, but rather the mechanisms established in that aim are further diminished in both functionality and credibility. May need a federal law, prohibiting a state from delaying avenues to just resolution in a reasonable time. Meanwhile, what you describe is a form of abuse as destructive to states as to individuals.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">