• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

over 30 mph law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

devonashley

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FLorida

So I was recently pulled over for speeding. Officer says he clocked me at 62 mph in a 30 mph zone. In FL over 30 mph requires a mandatory court appearance. I have no clue what I'm supposed to do now other than show up in court at the time they gave me. Someone told me I will go for an arraignment and have to give a plea. I do not know what plea to give nor what my possible reprocussions could be. Help? Do I need to get a lawyer or can this be handled on my own? Is it possible judge will give me school or would that be too easy? thanks

I_Got_Banned

Do you think you are guilty or was the citation written to you in error?
An attorney might be able to finesse a lower charge with a guilty plea. Something that might be difficult for you to do on you own sonce you seem to have no clue!

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Were you just charged with the speeding or where you hit with reckless driving or some similar charge.

You don't have a guarantee on being able to take driving school on this charge. Follow SeniorJudge's rules for appearing in court. It's like a $300+ fine and four points. The judge is given a lot of discretion. He can even suspend your license if he feels it is necessary.

You may wish to at least consult with a local attorney to see what he thinks he can do for you. I THINK it's still just a civil infraction.

devonashley

no it was not reckless driving, just speeding, but fl passed a new law recently. anything over 30 is automatic court appearance. as far as guilty or not, here is my defense....

I was trying to pass a car in front of me so as soon as I had the opportunity I sped up and passed. I guess I sped up too much, as I am not used to drving an automatic so I guess I had a heavy foot. Normally I drive a manual so I am very concious of what speed I am going. not much of an excuse, but had I been in my own vehicle it would not have been possible for me to get to that speed in that scenario.

devonashley

unfortunately I found this site a little late. My court appearance is set for this afternoon. Still open to any advice, but will post my results tomorrow. Wish me luck.

mdgwashere

In Illinois 40mph over is the magic number for mandatory court appearance and I just found out about this recently too. :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">