• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overtaking - can someone please help a tourist?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BillK

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

Hi guys,

I was visiting US last month and while I was driving in Oregon I was pulled over by an officer for "overtaking in a non-overtaking zone".

Now that I have returned home and I cannot find the ticket. To make it worse, I am not sure which city/county I was in when I got the ticket.

My questions are :

1. How can I find out which city it was so that I can mail them the money?

2. If I ignore it will I be arrested if I go to Oregon again? How about other states such as California?

Thanks for your help!

Bill

justalayman

1. How can I find out which city it was so that I can mail them the money
?You have to have some idea where you were. Get out a map and start looking. If you have any clue as to the officer being a county, city, or some other jurisdiction, it would help.

2. If I ignore it will I be arrested if I go to Oregon again?
very possible. Generally, if tickets are ignored arrest warrants are issued.

How about other states such as California?
maybe but Oregon would have to be willing to extradite if they want others to take the warrant seriously. I don;t see it happening for a traffic violation and subsequent failure to appear charge.

California and Oregon are both signatory to the Drivers License Compact which causes what happens in one state to be treated as if it happened in the other state. If you are a resident of Calofornia, due to this, your license could be suspended in California. At least, when it works as designed.

The Occultist

How can I find out which city it was so that I can mail them the money?
If you look at your copy of the citation, there should be plenty of information on there, such as the court you need to report to, and a phone number you can call for more information.

BillK

Thanks guys for answering.

I was probably about an hour from Crater Lake, on my way to Lake Tahoe. I think there were a few towns that I might have passed through. So maybe I need to find some way to contact each of them?

btw, I forgot to mention that I am not an US resident. I am from Hong Kong.

patstew

If this was a rental car, contact the rental company.
If this was a borrowed car, contact the owner.
Somebody's going to get a copy of the ticket one way or the other.

I_Got_Banned

If this was a rental car, contact the rental company.
If this was a borrowed car, contact the owner.
Somebody's going to get a copy of the ticket one way or the other.
I don't think that is necessarily so... If this were a Red Light Camera Ticket or a parking citation then you would be 100% correct. However, in the case of a moving violation and although the make, model and plate number of the vehicle is notated on the citation, (and although the OP does not have a valid CA D/L) I don't think there is any sort of procedure for linking it to the vehicle's registered owner.

BillK

The car was a California plate Hertz. I doubt very much that they will notify Hertz because I seem to remember that some where on the citation there was a remark that the vehicle was not mine.

I_Got_Banned

Very weird, this Wiki (yes, I know, don't trust wiki's) says CA is not part of it. It also says that the Compact came into existence in the 70's.

Non-Resident Violator Compact - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CARL! Please set us straight! :eek:
Carl is a little busy and I've been asked to substitute... ;)

The Non-Resident Violator Compact (NRVC), the Driver License Compact (DLC)
and the Driver License Agreement (DLA) are three separate and distinct interstate compacts.

The NRCV was first, then came the DLC and recently, the DLA became the new compact written by the Joint Executive Board of the Driver License Compact (DLC) and the Non-Resident Violator Compact (NRVC) with staff support provided by the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators (AAMVA).

Good ole Cali does not report as an NRVC member however, it is active with the DLC and therefore is also a part of the DLA.

Don't confuse yourself with different initials.. Just know that soon enough every state in the union as well as the Provinces/Territories of Canada and the States/Federal District of Mexico will also be able to participate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">