• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

overturn non court appearance fines?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dmagnus

What is the name of your state? ca

I recieved a speeding ticket last year on freeway from CHP while rushing to visit my dying grandmother. He also fined me for not having proof of insurance. I did not go to the court appearances, because later I lost possesion of my car, bankruptcy, and taking bus to my job. 2002 was a rough year. I called and set up appointment and appeared, had my fines which was around $ 1200 reduced to $620 because I showed the court I had insurance at the time I got pulled over as well as paying the speeding ticket. In essence I am still being fined $620 for not showing up to court before which I had good reason not to. Paying speeding ticket is one thing..but this whole mess started because I had insurance at the time being pulled over but not carrying proof. My question is can I get out of not paying $620 somehow for reasons stated above?

K

Kaz the Minotau

You were cited for "not carrying proof" not "no insurance". You have to carry proofof insurance in the vehicle. So why didn't you show up for court?

D

dmagnus

unable to attend court appearance

I was unable to attend court appearance because of aforementioned reasons ;financial and circumstantial duress. It was I who contacted the court to clear everything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">