• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PA speeding-ROBIC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

padriver94

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Hello,
Received a speeding ticket today, by ROBIC evidently. Officer stated I was going 39 in a 25, which I was not (just a hair under 35). He was parked at the top of a hill and there are hills on either side, limiting his view to just the intersection of the roads. I parked in his exact location and you cannot see either white line on both sides of the intersection. Do I have a case or not? Thanks!

FlyingRon

You could try, but it's quite possible some landmark other than the marks was used. Of course, the officer would need to articulate that and show how he certified the distance.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why would he have to lie? If the officer can't articulate the distance over which he used the stopwatch, then there's no basis for his measurement.
The officer will be able to articulate the distance - this isn't his first rodeo. ;)

padriver94

I'm not sure yet. I'm going to try to figure out first how he timed me (all that is written on the ticket is "ROBIC", no timing data). Therefore if he mentions anything about lines I'm going to simply refute the whole thing like Ron suggests (doesn't matter what speed I was going, his methodology is flawed). If I can't get any mention of how he timed me, I plan on being relatively truthful.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm not sure yet. I'm going to try to figure out first how he timed me (all that is written on the ticket is "ROBIC", no timing data). Therefore if he mentions anything about lines I'm going to simply refute the whole thing like Ron suggests (doesn't matter what speed I was going, his methodology is flawed). If I can't get any mention of how he timed me, I plan on being relatively truthful.
:rolleyes:

padriver94

By relatively, I mean that I won't be lying, but I won't outright condemn myself. I'll answer direct questions with the truth. Honestly, if I tell the complete truth, they'd roll their eyes and think I'm a liar. The actual process was I make a right turn, travel less than 500ft and the moment before I saw the cop, I noticed I'd accelerated too quickly and was in the process of slowing down. Call me/think I'm a liar if you like, but it's the truth.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">