• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PA Speeding Ticket 10 Over

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dublee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I got a ticket yesterday going 10 over the speed limit, 35 in a 25. The office checked off "Other" in the ticket so I am not sure how exactly he determine my speed limit. I do not mind paying the fine and being done with it but I do not want the points on my record. I feel as though I did have an emergency since my grandfather was in the hospital but I was not given the chance to explain my circumstances. I'm not trying to use it as an excuse to get out of the ticket, I just do not want the points. The ticket does not state the number of points but the officer said it will add two points to my record. Is it worth it for me plead not guilty and show up at court to see if they will knock off the points? Will they even offer to knock off the points?

FlyingRon

The officer and the courts do not have the authority to change then number of points. Unless you have something that will convince the judge to not convict you of the crime which you admit you committed, you're going to get points (they have more wiggle room on the fine I believe). The excuse that someone ELSE is in the hospital is hardly an emergency that justifies breaking the speed limit.

dublee

The officer and the courts do not have the authority to change then number of points. Unless you have something that will convince the judge to not convict you of the crime which you admit you committed, you're going to get points (they have more wiggle room on the fine I believe). The excuse that someone ELSE is in the hospital is hardly an emergency that justifies breaking the speed limit.
I am not admitting that I was over the speed limit. How does an officer determine my speed when he checks off "other?"

FlyingRon

I am not admitting that I was over the speed limit. How does an officer determine my speed when he checks off "other?"
You admitted it in the first line here.

Other is something other than the other boxes provide for. I don't have your citation. It could be anything from being paced, visual estimation, and (Pennsylvania jurisdictions love this because only the state police are allowed to play with radar) a stopwatch.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">