• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PA Speeding Ticket? Pay or Plead Not Guilty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BHgymmom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I received a speeding ticket yesterday on a back road in rural PA. Officer said he used ESP to get me. He was sitting at a bottom of a hill near the top of my development. I came out of my neighborhood and went down hill. He said he got me at 66mph in a 35. I know that I was speeding but never imagined it was that high. He also said I failed to come to a compete stop and got me for a stop sign violation. Ugh! Said I would only get points for the speeding.

My question is what do I do? Should I plead guilty and pay the fine or plead not guilty. Never had this happen so no clue what my options are?

Someone help asap?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FlyingRon

ESP is a stopwatch which uses sensors placed across the road at a fixed distance to trigger it. At least it removes the cop reaction time that you have with VASCAR or Robic. You can go to court if you want (all you're wasting is your time) but it sounds like you don't have any defense.

The over 30 is good for 5 points. The stop sign violation would appear to be 3.
I don't know what you are cited with if he thinks it's a zero pointer.

BHgymmom

The citation occurred on Sat. Jan. 14.

Thank you FlyingRon for the reply.

He told me that there would be no points for the stop sign violation because it occurred with the other violation?

I am wondering if I can contest the stop sign violation. It is a stop sign that sits back on a steep hill. I had to stop then pull forward to see before safely entering the intersection. His description was that I did not stop completely but I stopped. He said I rolled into the intersection. Not sure how I can roll if I was on a hill...

FlyingRon

Sorry guys...I missed the joke.

Thanks for your help though. Any other insight on the stop sign?
Insights about what? If you do not come to a complete cessation of motion at a stop sign and wait yield to pedestrians and opposing traffic with the right of way, then you're guilty. If the cop testifies you did not do so, you'll lose that in court unless you have some credible evidence. It's easier challenging the speed citations sometimes in that respect.

ecmst12

You can go to court and try to get the violation reduced to something with fewer or no points. It won't make the fine less but it might make your insurance increase lower.

I believe that if you get multiple violations at once, you only get points for the worst one.

BHgymmom

Thank you. I do want to try to go to court about this. I just don't even know the first thing about it. What do you do? I don't want to say or do anything wrong there. I have never had to do this so I am clueless and looking for some advice.

BHgymmom

Okay. Got my court date for end of Feb.

Consulted a local lawyer friend who says this court officer is known to, or likely to drop down to lower rate, no points etc.

I just have no idea what to do or say. Never had to do this before.

Can someone tell me what happens with these?

Okay. Got my court date for end of Feb.

Consulted a local lawyer friend who says this court officer is known to, or likely to drop down to lower rate, no points etc.

I just have no idea what to do or say. Never had to do this before.

Can someone tell me what happens with these?
Best way to find out is to attend a session ... before you have to be there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">