• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PA Speeding Ticket in Speed Trap

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lv123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
PA

I received a ticket via 'Robic' (stopwatch) recently on a state route speed trap (.0470 miles in 2.67 seconds). They had 3-5 more cars pulled over within a minute of stopping me. The speed they calculated was slightly higher (1.5 MPH) than I was actually going, but that is not part of my defense.

It appears the officers were using a municipal dump truck parked on the side of the road to time cars, then marked units ahead were pulling cars over. I will be pleading not guilty in an attempt to reduce the points assessed.

My questions:
- Who needs to show up in court? There were 2 people (I assume officers) in the municipal dump truck doing the timing and one officer in the car that pulled me over. I've heard in the past that both the ticketing officer and officer that clocked the speed need to appear, but I'm not sure if this is a legend or law.
- Is it legal for them to use non-police vehicles for this purpose? I was pulled over by a 'somewhat' marked car, but the dump truck is not a police vehicle. I've seen this a couple times in the same spot, so I would assume they have already verified the legality, but just want to be sure.

Thanks for your help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">