• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PA Traffic Citation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

X

xtremeski48

if a police officer in pennsylvania misspells your name or does not fill out your date of birth, is the citation void?

V

Vincent Cosent

Only the judge can void a ticket.

But generally they dont.

X

xtremeski48

the citation i received was for driving too fast for conditions, and the police officer aproximated my speed. not only did he pull me over, he pulled some girl over and made us both approach his car. he gave us both a ticket for "aproximately going 50MPH in a 25MPH zone." Can they aproximate speed like that because i know for a fact that i was going 40 or less?

V

Vincent Cosent

It wont hold as much weight

with the judge as a radar gun but is still acceptable.And driving to fast for conditions is a judgement call by the officer that is also acceptable.If your only defense is that you think you were going less than 40 forget it.I assume it was raining or snowing or icy roads.

M

Mikedani

The accuracy of approximating speed is normally based on the officers level of experience. If it is a rookie officer the Judge may not give as much credibility to the estimation.

Considering the officer mispelled your name and forgot your DOB, the Judge may lean towards your version of the incident. After all if the officer mess up on the ticket he could have messed up on his estimation.

If you challange the ticket in court you may be able to negotiate a fine that is based on your estimated speed or even have the ticket dismissed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">