• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paced at 89 in 65 zone -- yes i was speeding

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

noahsatellite

What is the name of your state? Maryland tags pulled over in New Jersey

I'm 21yrs old and this was my first ever moving violation (since I started driving at 16). I was pulled over on the NJ Turnpike by a cop who paced me doing 89 in a 65. Apparently fines in a 65mph zone on the turnpike are doubled, so though I'm not sure what the fine is (he couldn't tell me right away, there's a number I have to call to find out, and since it's state police that issued it, the court told me they wouldn't have the info on the ticket for another week) I know it's going to be a lot. Also, I'm really not familiar with how points work but I suppose there are a number of points involved too (4 or 5 it looks like)

So I guess I'm going to contest it in court because it looks like the fine is going to be hefty and will probably carry a number of points. I'm just wondering what my best defense is. The truth is I was speeding -- traffic was a steady 75mph and I was cruising at 80 throughout my trip. He said he paced me at 89 which I guess is possible on a pass or whatnot, but I really was not driving aggressively nor dangerously and was only driving slightly faster than the rest of traffic -- in the left lane I might add.

I've never had a moving violation before and I've never been to court before so I don't really know what I'm in for. I hope the cop doesn't show up, I guess, but on the greater chance that he does, am I best trying to convince the judge I was doing 80 not 89 -- though it's certainly possible the cop paced me at 89 -- or just being apologetic? Honestly, I can understand paying a little fine -- I was breaking the law -- but the $300 I'm estimating (based on a pamphlet online from NJ state) is very high and those points, though I guess I don't really know what they mean, scare me. Especially considering the flow of traffic was not at 65, as anybody who drives on the NJT at night knows, it doesn't seem to me that I acted in a terribly bad manner (illegal? yes. terrible? no.) -- nor one that warrants such punishment

What's my best route? Do I have a chance at getting the fine and/or points reduced? The cop (after the initial harsh "do you know what I pulled you over for" routine -- which by the way whould be reworded as a sentance should never end in a preposition) seemed pretty nice, but can I expect an understanding judge?

- noahsatellite

sukharev

"I don't really know what they mean"

here is your first problem. These points mean a heavy insurance hike. Much more than $300 you pay in fines. Not only that, but you got to look up how this will transfer to MD - you may be looking at automatic reckless charge. NJ does report pretty much all traffic tickets the same way, as 2 point violations. However, MD may look at it differently.

Definitely go and try to negotiate with DA before trial. A typical deal would involve lower charge (from 4 to 2 points - lower speed, which is what you need), but add some court costs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">