• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

** "paceing" speeding ticket inquiry ****

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jonskier

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ILLINOIS

Try to keep this short. I received a citation for 83mph in a 55mph. The officer did not get me on radar and still wrote the ticket to an EXACT MPH claiming he had "paced" my speed. The ticket states he paced me from " I-xx Toll plaza to Route.XX ".

What does the time printed on the ticket represent? Is this the time he printed the ticket? The time he pulled me over? Or the time he began to pace me??

Mind you the distance from the toll plaza and the route he stopped me on is roughly 5 miles.

Thanks!!!

racer72

Before radar guns, pacing was the most common method to catch speeders. All the officer has to do is drive the same speed at you and look down at his speedometer. Very hard to beat these kind of tickets.

davew128

Before radar guns, pacing was the most common method to catch speeders. All the officer has to do is drive the same speed at you and look down at his speedometer. Very hard to beat these kind of tickets.
True. The only method I am aware of involved driving a Delorean and accelerating to 88 MPH. That was a guaranteed method of escape. :D

jonskier

Simply put my defense will be rate X time = distance. He paced me starting exactly at a toll plaza and ending at a highway exit where I was pulled over within feet of. The exact plaza and exit are listed on the citation which literally reads "paced from tollway xx to route xx exit"

I contacted the state toll administration and received the time (within seconds) that I passed the tollway (starting of the pace) and the ticket records when the stop was initiated (the ended the pace). With simple math I can prove I was not traveling the cited MPH given the distance and time constraints.

I was initially asking what the time on the citation represents, but confirmed with the State police administration that it is when the officer initiated the stop, not the time in which the ticket was printed.

Last edited:

davew128

Simply put my defense will be rate X time = distance. He paced me starting exactly at a toll plaza and ending at a highway exit where I was pulled over within feet of. The exact plaza and exit are listed on the citation which literally reads "paced from tollway xx to route xx exit"

I contacted the state toll administration and received the time (within seconds) that I passed the tollway (starting of the pace) and the ticket records when the stop was initiated (the ended the pace). With simple math I can prove I was not traveling the cited MPH given the distance and time constraints.

I was initially asking what the time on the citation represents, but confirmed with the State police administration that it is when the officer initiated the stop, not the time in which the ticket was printed.
And what does presenting a mathemetical average of your speed have to do with the fact you were paced at one point at a speed greater than the speed limit? Laws of both physics and mathematics will apply here. You cannot have travelled at the same speed the entire time in the real world where there is both acceleration and deceleration.

If the officer did indeed claim to have paced you the entire distance and maintains that claim in court you have a chance of beating the charge. I suspect his story will be that you were speeding, then slowed down before he followed you off the exit.

FlyingRon

All the officer needs do is testify he was not gaining on you and looked at his speedometer. There's no "time and distance" involved. That's all computed by his (calibrated) speedometer.

All the officer needs do is testify he was not gaining on you and looked at his speedometer. There's no "time and distance" involved. That's all computed by his (calibrated) speedometer.
According to OP the police officer wrote into the citation the distance where the pacing occurred. As electronic records happen to exist for the start and stop point it would stand to reason that OP couldn't have been speed the entire distance.

davew128

According to OP the police officer wrote into the citation the distance where the pacing occurred. As electronic records happen to exist for the start and stop point it would stand to reason that OP couldn't have been speed the entire distance.
The OP doesn't NEED to have been speeding the whole distance. He only needed to have been speeding long enough for the officer to match the speed and look at the speedometer to confirm it was over the speed limit. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The OP doesn't NEED to have been speeding the whole distance. He only needed to have been speeding long enough for the officer to match the speed and look at the speedometer to confirm it was over the speed limit. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Agreed, but according to the OP the officer is claiming he was speeding over a specific distance not just at a specific time. :rolleyes:

davew128

Whatever dumbo. Back in the real world, one does not accelerate instantly to the speed limit or decelerate back to zero instantly. Therefore if the average speed mathematically WAS the speed limit, its including the time to took to get to and from that average speed, which *drumroll* using algebra (also over your pay grade) means the maximumis greater than the mean.
Now go back to doing stupid people tricks on Letterman.

Whatever dumbo. Back in the real world, one does not accelerate instantly to the speed limit or decelerate back to zero instantly. Therefore if the average speed mathematically WAS the speed limit, its including the time to took to get to and from that average speed, which *drumroll* using algebra (also over your pay grade) means the maximumis greater than the mean.
Now go back to doing stupid people tricks on Letterman.
Great thing about electronic toll plazas is that you don't have to decelerate. Dumbo. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">