• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking lot traffic stop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

blink401

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

Are police allowed to stop you for moving violations that occurred in store parking lots?

I've just always wondered that :)

B

blink401

re:

That does make sense.

But you know when you�fre in your local mall parking lot, it's late and everything is closing down, your one of the last shoppers in the store. You finally get outside and you see that your car is one of the only ones in the lot, you get into your car, and you realize.. There are 8 more stop signs before you reach the city streets. AHHHHHH

And why does that whole "uncontrolled intersection" rule get thrown out the window in parking lots? Apparently there is an amendment that instead of saying, "yield to the motorist on the right" it says "if you�fre going strait, just keep going!".

Well, I appreciate the info.

Thanks, Jim

JETX

With all due respect to Racer, the police can't enforce traffic laws on private property (at least they can't in Texas).

racer72

I should have phrased that as private property (such as a mall parking lot) that is open to the public. A reserve police officer standing next to me says traffic laws do not end at the sidewalk. If you are on your own private property (and have the room), you can drive as fast as you want and violate every law and there is nothing the police can do.

JETX

And let me clarify... in Texas, police cannot enforce traffic laws on private property... including public access parking lots.

Examples:
1) Police can't set up radar on private property.
2) Police cannot investigate accidents that occur on private property.
3) Police cannot issue traffic tickets for any traffic activity on private property.
3) Police CAN investigate non-traffic incidents on private property (burglary of motor vehicle, destruction of property, public drunkeness, etc.).

I

immigrant

Here in WV police won't even respond to a traffic accident in a parking lot unless there are injuries. I don't think in WV there is such a thing as a traffic LAW on private property.

J

jimmyv

parking lot

i know in connecticut if you are in a parking lot with under 10 cars then the speed limit doesn't apply. also police have to be called onto non town or state property before they can just sit in the parking lot and look for offenders. usually a mall manager will sign a letter allowing police to enter the property any time for any reason. also if i police officer is parked on someones lawn and shooting radar he must also have written permission and it must be notarized before he can use their property

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">