• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

parking ticket scams

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fellowtrvlr

Yes, I got a ticket, but there was no sign anywhere. Isn't city hall required by law to post up those ordinances of theirs?
I would like to have a look at that law, which I'm sure it exist.
~Florida

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fellowtrvlr:
Yes, I got a ticket, but there was no sign anywhere. Isn't city hall required by law to post up those ordinances of theirs?
I would like to have a look at that law, which I'm sure it exist.
~Florida
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, call them up and ask them where you can find the ordinances. Be aware that a sign is not needed at each and everywhere location Demarkation of curbs and parking areas with colored paint will suffice. Can you get a parking ticket with no signage present if you parked next to a fire hydrant, red curb anywhere, unpainted curb but next to a stop sign or intersection curb, handicapped lines and symbol in a stall, next to the apron of any driveway or on a street directly in front of a driveway.......?

Signs,
No Parking

F

fellowtrvlr

No, It had to do with a time limit. I had it parked for about 8 hours around downtown, a no-no for that particular community.
They must be desparate for revenue, to lay traps like that. I have been told that small towns are notorious for that type of activity.
I still feel though that it is some type of entrapment.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fellowtrvlr:
No, It had to do with a time limit. I had it parked for about 8 hours around downtown, a no-no for that particular community.
They must be desparate for revenue, to lay traps like that. I have been told that small towns are notorious for that type of activity.
I still feel though that it is some type of entrapment.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why is it entrapment? No one forced you to park there. And for 8 whole hours. You could have gotten a mobile tune-up, oil change and a car wash. In that area you must pay to park. No pay, no park. No park, no pay. No pay and park. Fine.

Signed,
Meter Reader

[This message has been edited by HomeGuru (edited August 22, 2000).]

F

fellowtrvlr

I'm certainly not the first to call something like this "entrapment" [I'm going by the typical dictionary defintion here, not the state's statute.].
Have you ever been to any of the speed trap forums on the web? There you'll find stories of people getting tickets they don't deserve to get. Like getting a ticket for overspeeding [or parking] when there is no sign present or it's carefully hidden. Now I did find that "2 hour" limit ordinance. Sure, they had those signs up around town, but not where I was parked. I was parked there 8 hours because I was on a business call.
But anyway, next time I see some type of civil scam going on , I'll print some copies of the offending ordinance and post them around town.

HomeGuru

I'm certainly not the first to call something like this "entrapment" [I'm going by the typical dictionary defintion here, not the state's statute.].
Have you ever been to any of the speed trap forums on the web? There you'll find stories of people getting tickets they don't deserve to get. Like getting a ticket for overspeeding [or parking] when there is no sign present or it's carefully hidden. Now I did find that "2 hour" limit ordinance. Sure, they had those signs up around town, but not where I was parked. I was parked there 8 hours because I was on a business call.
But anyway, next time I see some type of civil scam going on , I'll print some copies of the offending ordinance and post them around town.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, thanks and that's a good idea. If you see an 8 hour parking meter anywhere in the US, please let me know. Especially if it accepts major credit cards.

[This message has been edited by HomeGuru (edited August 22, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">