• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Passed a Stopped School Bus

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SnowedIn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT
I recently was driving my Mother to work on a two way street. In my lane there was a large truck with its left blinker on. I passed the truck on the right and the vehicles in front of it, believeing that these vehicles were waiting for traffic coming from the other direction so that they could turn down a side street. When I passed the vehicles, I heard a carhorn and realized that there was a smaller sized school bus in front of the truck. I did not see the stop sign or the blinking lights because of the truck that was behind the bus. I recently got a call from the State Police and asked that I call them. What is the worst case scenario here? Can I lose my liscense? Cam my insurance go up? Thank you for any help...

FlyingRon

How was it that you were able to pass a school bus on the right if it was stopped to load/unload. Were you driving on the shoulder? You can see how dangerous that was. That's illegal in it's own right. No you're not going to jail. 5 points and $500 fine are the worst that can happen to you for the passing a school bus (first offense).

The reason the police are calling is because state law allows the bus driver to note your license plate and file the complaint.

SnowedIn

There was plenty of room to pass on the right. Had I seen that there was a school bus I would have obviously stopped. Dangerous? Yes. Only because it was impossible for me to see the bus stopped. Thank you for your advice and help.

Antigone*

There was plenty of room to pass on the right. Had I seen that there was a school bus I would have obviously stopped. Dangerous? Yes. Only because it was impossible for me to see the bus stopped. Thank you for your advice and help.
I'm sorry but I am with Ron on this one. How on earth is it ever safe to pass a stopped school bus with its lights on to the right:eek::eek::eek:

I highly doubt you'll be going to jail. If anything at all, you'll get a ticket.

FlyingRon

There was plenty of room to pass on the right.
What did you mean "plenty of room"? Was there a traffic lane there? If not then it is ILLEGAL. I find it hard to believe a school bus would be discharging passengers into an adjacent traffic lane. You can only pass on the right in certain circumstances and driving off the "normal traffic surface" to do so is expressly forbidden.

Had I seen that there was a school bus I would have obviously stopped. Dangerous? Yes. Only because it was impossible for me to see the bus stopped.
That's exactly my point. You passed illegal and dangerously and if there had been a child alighting from that bus you may have killed him.

SnowedIn

Normal Surface? No passing on the right?

Okay maybe I don't know the law. That is why I am here...So if there is a car in front of you that has indicated that it is taking a left, are you allowed to move around that vehicle by driving to the right to pass it?

I realize the danger of the situation. I realize that someone could have been easily killed or injured. However, there was large truck behind a smaller bus and agin, I did not see it. I thought that the truck was just waiting for oncoming traffic to pass so that it could make it's left hand turn. I drove around the truck (not on the shoulder, on the road)to discover that there was a small bus in front of it. I did not do this on purpose. I thought it was legal to move around a vehicle by staying to the right. Thanks again and I appreciate the advice.

divona2000

...So if there is a car in front of you that has indicated that it is taking a left, are you allowed to move around that vehicle by driving to the right to pass it?
...I realize the danger of the situation. I realize that someone could have been easily killed or injured. However, there was large truck behind a smaller bus and agin, I did not see it. I thought that the truck was just waiting for oncoming traffic to pass so that it could make it's left hand turn. I drove around the truck (not on the shoulder, on the road)to discover that there was a small bus in front of it...
It is illegal to pass on the right (unless there is a specific 'passing lane' there, outlined in white lines, to keep traffic flowing smoothly).
It is Illegal to drive on the side, or shoulder, of the road, at all---with the exception of certain vehicles.
I see people do it all the time, but one should never pass on the right, off the road, (and use caution even in a passing area) as oncoming traffic may be turning the opposite way directly in front of you.
Also, what if there was a Postal or newspaper delivery vehicle trundling down that shoulder?

swrdmbo

Yes...it is illegal to pass a car on the right that is turning left.

When I was a youngster in college, I was on a 4 lane road (2 lanes each way), in the left lane. The car in front of me turned on his left turn signal and slowed way down. I proceeded to go around him in the other lane, and as I was passing his car he made a 90 degree right turn!!!

He got cited for an illegal turn AND I GOT CITED for going around him, passing on the right. He ran right into the side of my car and we WERE BOTH at fault!!
I didn't like it much but I never forgot it.

Also...there is no way a bus would unload a child into a lane of traffic.Even if the road was wide enough for you to pass, it clearly was not a traffic lane , and you had NO BUSINESS passing the truck on the right.

Last edited:

LSCAP

CT
Sec. 14-233. Passing on right. The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass upon the right of another vehicle only when conditions permit such movement in safety and under the following conditions: (1) When the vehicle overtaken is making or has signified the intention to make a left turn; (2) when lines of vehicles traveling in the same direction in adjoining traffic lanes have come to a stop or have reduced their speed; (3) upon a one-way street free from obstructions and of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles; (4) upon a limited access highway or parkway free from obstructions with three or more lanes provided for traffic in one direction. Such movement shall not be made by driving off the pavement or main-traveled portion of the highway except where lane designations, signs, signals or markings provide for such movement. Violation of any provision of this section shall be an infraction.

If you were passing carefully, you should have seen the school bus.
Yet it is a Plausable defense. Blocked by truck with left turn signal flashing.

I_Got_Banned

If you were passing carefully, you should have seen the school bus.
Yet it is a Plausable defense. Blocked by truck with left turn signal flashing.
LSCAP,

The point is, if you can't see ahead of the truck, don't assume there is nothing there... heck there could be a school bus... Oh, wait, there was a school bus there!

So it is not a plausible defense!

SnowedIn

A lot of fuss for a yellow bus...

I am as free as this advice. No ticket. No fine. No nothin'. Yahooooooooooooooo! :cool: Look for me passin' on the right! (Legally of course)

Last edited:

SnowedIn

They asked me what happened. I explained the situation very specifically. They understood. They said "remember this tricky situation for next time"...Shook my hand and sent me on my way...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">