• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Passenger received moving violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

legacyc0der

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

My friend was pulled over for a stop-sign violation November 8th in his dad's pick-up truck. Joe was driving, Megan was in the middle, and I was on the right. He asked for our ID's, and Joe and I gave him ours and Megan said she didn't have hers with.

He returned a bit later giving our ID's back and giving Joe his ticket. We got back home and realized the cop mistakenly wrote out the ticket with my information.

Now I called the police dept. and went up there a few times to arrange to meet with the officer 2 times, both of which fell through, but he told me I should put together a signed written statement from all of us that describes exactly what we say had happened. He offered to tell me that, he'd review the video and cautioned that if we were trying to pull a "fast one" on him that we could be charged with falsifying information/reporting. I have that statement signed by all of us now and I'm wondering what advice you guys can give me. Will this be sufficient evidence for the judge? Should Joe and/or Megan be there? Will they drop it, or say, well, then, Joe, you're guilty, pay the fine? ... Or, not believe me. :confused:

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm sorry you didn't get an answer fast enough...you see, we sent the crystal ball out for the annual tune-up and polishing and we were hoping it would be back by now.

justalayman

It seems that fewer and fewer localities require the person recieving the ticket but if by chance the driver (Joe) had to sign the ticket, that would pretty much prove who was issued the ticket.

The Occultist

Next time I'll just try paying for my advice.
This incident occurred on November 8th, according to your post. You waited a month to ask us about it. If getting answers in a timely manner is important to you then perhaps you should post your questions in a timely manner as well.

It seems that fewer and fewer localities require the person recieving the ticket but if by chance the driver (Joe) had to sign the ticket, that would pretty much prove who was issued the ticket.
Don't know what would be worse....paying the ticket, or having daddy find out that Joe let his friend drive the pick-up. We can only hope the signature is on the ticket.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">