• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

passing on a 4 lane divided highway

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RICHARD MARLAIS

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

California

I was driving north on 101 between Gonzales and Salinas. 4 lane divided highway. I had my cruise control set and was doing 65 mph( I had a speeding ticket given to me 8 months before in the same area and was not going to get another. ) Ahead of me was a slower moving car. It took some time to catch up to it. traffic in the left lane was going about 75 to 80 mph. When I caught up to the car in front I signaled and pulled into the left lane to pass. I sped up to get out of the bind spot of the car ahead as fast as was safe and to not make those coming in the left lane angry. as the nose of my car pulled ahead of the car I was passing I saw the CHP car with his lazar. He cited me for 78 MPH. can I fight this with a written declaration.?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

California

I was driving north on 101 between Gonzales and Salinas. 4 lane divided highway. I had my cruise control set and was doing 65 mph( I had a speeding ticket given to me 8 months before in the same area and was not going to get another. ) Ahead of me was a slower moving car. It took some time to catch up to it. traffic in the left lane was going about 75 to 80 mph. When I caught up to the car in front I signaled and pulled into the left lane to pass. I sped up to get out of the bind spot of the car ahead as fast as was safe and to not make those coming in the left lane angry. as the nose of my car pulled ahead of the car I was passing I saw the CHP car with his lazar. He cited me for 78 MPH. can I fight this with a written declaration.?
You should have stayed in your lane until it was safe to pass without breaking the law.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Lazar? That's a new one.

By the way, passing another vehicle is not a justification for exceeding the posted speed limit. You'd better come up with something else.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">