• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Passing issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

confused_2009

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

state of Illinois

Hi,

This morning i was going to drop my daughter to school and the issue happened on a 2 lane Road with 45mph limit when in a hurry i passed a school bus in Front of me which had stopped at an unattended railroad crossing with just its Yellow lights On ( No stop arm extended or No Red lights On)

The driver of the schol bus took my license plate # and will report the issue.

I am sure it was not a No passing zone and I passed carefully by looking over the bus and there was NO oncming traffic for at least 500n yards or more to the Next stop signal.

what have i done wrong , if any per Illinois law and what might be the consequences. I checked the DMV rules book and there is no mention of anything about just yellow flashing lights and Bus stopping ? I did slow down before overtaking .

pl. assist here !!!

thanks a lt in advance,

confused_2009

racer72

I am sure it was not a No passing zone
You sure about that? From the state of Illinois Driver's Manual:

Passing on a two-lane, two-way roadway is not allowed:

in an area marked for no passing by a solid yellow line on your side of the center of the roadway or a DO NOT PASS or NO PASSING ZONE sign.
on a hill or curve where it is not possible to see oncoming vehicles.
within 100 feet of an intersection or railroad crossing
when the view is blocked within 100 feet of any bridge, viaduct or tunnel.
when a vehicle has stopped at a crosswalk or intersection to allow a pedestrian to cross.
in a construction zone. All constructions zones on Illinois highways are no passing zones.
in any school zone. Under Illinois law, all school zones are no passing zones.
when a school bus has stopped to load or discharge passengers.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
It's not a good idea to pass a stopped bus at a railroad crossing. The bus impairs your view and it's a good way to get hit by a train.

And apparently, it's against the law in your state, as racer72 pointed out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">