• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Passing Red Light - Its not me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

doideservethis

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I've been driving this road every other day for about a year. Has signals every 200 yards. My insurance is higher than normal just because I live in this part of town. I'm a very safe driver and usually stick to 20 MPH or less while on this road and there is quiet a bit of traffic always. There are 6 signals 200 yards apart and then the 7th which is about half mile away.

I was waiting for a green signal at the seventh light when I noticed a cop pull behind me. I dint pay much attention and then I saw the cop at my window. He asked me if I was alright and I said yes and asked him what the issue was. He said I passed the red light in the last signal by about 10 feet. I told him that there must be a mistake and that I stopped in each of the six signals behind me. He said "dint you see the car parked at the red light in that 4 way crossing". I couldnt argue much with the cop and he was in no mood to listen.

I went home and then thought about it. This is a busy 4 way intersection that he is talking about. If I did pass the red light there is absolutely no chance that I dint cause an accident in that intersection at 20 MPH. I feel that the "car parked in the red light" that he was talking about was my car and that there was another car that had actually passed the red light in the intersection. Either the cop had to be making this up or the cop stopped me instead of the other guy.

The cop had to drive half a mile to stop me and that too while I was driving at 20 MPH. Thats Wierd.

I dont want to pay 156 $ for no mistake of mine. 4 points in my driving record and my insurance goes up further. What are the options that I have. Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:

doideservethis

Alan, can you elaborate pls? What do I need to know or equip myself with to go to a trial. I have absolutely no clue as to the matters of court.

The Occultist

Take your clean record to court and show that you are remorseful of the incident, even if you don't believe it occurred (it will be your word vs. the officer's). Often times the courts will be willing to negotiate and have you plead guilty to a lesser charge that won't result in points, but will have larger fines/fees attached (that way they get their money, and you don't get those points).

But yes, if you can't get the plea bargain you're looking for, then you may wish to take it to trial. The negative side of this is that if you lose, you will be facing the full amount of points. You may wish to look into a local traffic lawyer if it comes to going to trial.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">