• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Passing on the right.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jaman

I am from Ohio and got a ticket for passing on the right causing a accident. There was a witness that said he had his turn signal on to make a right turn which I didn't see. Here is what I said happened. I was following a Van North in a lane about 15 ft wide with the witness behind me. We got to a area where the double yellow lines shift to the left to make two lanes. 1 a LEFT TURN ONLY lane and 1 to go straight. Both are about 10 feet wide. The Van then drives to the left like we wants to make a left turn and I pulled over some to go straight. About 15 ft later I get hit in the left side of my car when he tries to make a right turn. The police arrive in about 30 seconds and 1 starts talking to the witness and the other tells us to pull into a near by parking lot. I asked him if see's the position of where the Van is. And he said he yes. Well they said it was my fault because there was no stop bar in that lane. The Police report shows both of us in the same lane and me passing him on the right side. My car is 6 ft wide in a 10 ft wide lane. There is nothing in the report about him turning into the left lane to get a angle to make his turn at all. After the crash over 50% of his Van was still in the Left Turn only lane. Can he do this because he had a turn signal on. I thought Left Turn Only meant that is what that lane was for.

Shay-Pari'e

What exactly are you asking? Are we to be the detectives investigating this?

It's done and over, and I couldn't make sense of your post anyway's.

Bcar1463

I think he is saying a large van in the left of two lanes going the same direction (him in right lane), and the van was trying to get back over to the right lane and they collided. The van should not haved crossed the lane divider if there were others cars. He *should* have stopped (regardless of street markings) and waited until clear if he needed to make a turn into the traffic lane, I would guess you had a bad investigating officer unless there is something your not telling us. Also, having the blinker on doesn't give him the right to do something dangerous like that. If I was on a freeway, I am not allowed to pull into the another lane just anytime I put my blinker on, it has to be clear first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">