• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Passing school bus with flashing amber lights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

The Occultist

My point was it is illegal to pass a school bus while the red lights are flashing and not the amber. That is fairly clear from reading the statute. Some people have said that going by the exact wording the statute isn't clear enough. I merly said that going by the exact wording only the mentioned people can report the crime. You can't have it both ways. If you want to go by exact wording, no where does it say anyone besides those mentioned can report the crime!
That's because that's not something that needs to be spelled out in statutes. That's a generic law, and not specific to certain laws: anybody can report a crime.

JustAPal00

I Know Anyone Can Report A Crime!!!!!

I Was Just Making A Point!!!!!

When You Read Something You Have To Also Try To Understand It!!!

You Can Pass A School Bus With Flashing Yellow Lights!!! They Are Warning Lights!!!

You Can Not Pass One With Fleashing Red Lights Lights!!!!! They Are Stop Lights!!!!! If You Read The Statute, This Is Clear!!!!

JustAPal00

Why should she go to court? She's probably not going to get a ticket. Unless the witness lies and says the lights were red.

rochellegeorge

passing school buses amber

TITLE 21
§ 4166. Overtaking and passing school bus; stop signal devices.

(a) School bus. --
Section (a )details rules for bus drivers.

Section B --use of amber & red flashing lights on school buses
b) School bus flashing lamps. --
(1) School bus flashing lamps are intended to identify the vehicle as a school bus and to inform other users of the highway that such vehicle is about to stop or is stopped on the roadway or shoulder to take on or discharge school children. They are separate from the brake lamps and shall not be used in lieu of or to supplement the brake lamps.

(2) The amber warning lamps shall be activated approximately 10 seconds prior to the red stop lamps to give motorists advance notice that the bus is preparing to stop or has stopped to pick up and discharge pupils. The lamps shall always be used prior to the red when available and shall be used only after the bus is relatively parallel with the travelway. The bus may be in motion when the amber warning lamps are activated.
(3) The red stop lamps shall be activated only when the bus is stopped, but only when the bus is stopped on the shoulder or roadway to pick up and discharge pupils. The red stop lamps shall not be displayed while the bus is in motion either before or after a stop.

(4) The amber warning lamps and/or the red stop lamps shall not be activated:

a. In designated school bus loading zones;

b. At intersections or other places where traffic is controlled by traffic-control signals or police officers;

c. When the bus is not being used as a school bus; provided, however, the amber warning lights and/or the red stop lamps may be used any time the bus is transporting children under the age of 18.

(c) School bus words. -- The words "SCHOOL BUS" shall be displayed whenever the bus is operated as a school bus. The words shall be covered, or concealed or removed when the bus is not in actual service as a school bus.

(d)(1) Overtaking and passing school bus. -- When a school bus is STOPPED and displays flashing lamps in accordance with subsection (b) of this section, the driver of any vehicle approaching the school bus from the front or from the rear shall stop before passing the bus and remain stopped until such bus begins to move or no longer has the red stop lamps activated. On roadway or roadways with 4 or more lanes, the driver approaching from the front shall not stop.

(2) The provisions of § 4101(a) of this title or any other statute notwithstanding, the provisions of this subsection shall apply upon highways and elsewhere throughout the State.

(e) Stopping of school bus on shoulder. -- Whenever practical, a school bus driver shall stop on the shoulder to pick up and discharge passengers.

(f) Amber lights; exception. -- School buses not equipped with flashing amber lamps shall operate the red lamps only as permitted in paragraph (3) of subsection (b) of this section.

(g) Identification of violators. -- If any vehicle is witnessed by a police officer, school bus operator or school crossing guard to be in violation of subsection (d) of this section and the identity of the operator is not otherwise apparent, it shall be a rebuttable presumption that the person in whose name such vehicle is registered committed such violation of subsection (d) of this section.

(h) Bus operators, bus aides or crossing guards as witnesses. -- Whenever a school bus operator, a bus aide or a crossing guard is required to prepare, with legal counsel, for an appearance or to appear in any court as witness against a person who is alleged to have violated subsection (d) of this section, the witness shall be advised by the prosecutor assigned to the case by the Attorney General.

Best Regards.
Hey There
Hi I hope I am doing this right

I was heading west when a school bus was heading east. The shool bus has its ambers on and I was to come to a stop but the bus appeared to keep on going so I started moving when I was almost passed the bus I went on looking in my rare mirror and seen the car that was a was a bit behing me that stoped just the begining of the bus has if he or she had to stop short. Am I still lible I live in New Jersey. I am a school bus aide I would not have intentualy pass a school bus. I want to add that the bus had its amber lights on I stoped mid way and the bus stoped has I started to move on.

Last edited:

seniorjudge

Hi I hope I am doing this right

I was heading west when a school bus was heading east. The shool bus has its ambers on and I was to come to a stop but the bus appeared to keep on going so I started moving when I was almost passed the bus I went on looking in my rare mirror and seen the car that was a was a bit behing me that stoped just the begining of the bus has if he or she had to stop short. Am I still lible I live in New Jersey. I am a school bus aide I would not have intentualy pass a school bus
Why are you hijacking and necroposting?

I_Got_Banned

rochellegeorge
Start your own thread by clicking on "Post new message".

Identify which state you were cited in... Then post what happened and what your question is.

You'll get better responses that way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">