• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Passing School Bus in Illinois

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

akbars01

I recently received a ticket for passing school bus. According to police officer i passed school bus when the stop arm was extended.

I don't argue that the stop arm was extended but I didn't see it. At the time I began passing the bus there were only yellow flashing lights. So probably the stop sign was extended right when I was passing it, therfore I could not see it. I understand that I should off just waited but I made a mistake.

I talked to one of the local bus drivers who told me that the stop sign arm is extended only if the doors are opened. I would never pass a bus with extended stop sign. But now I have a court date, and Im really worried.

Any suggestion, I really want to explain whole situation to the judge without a lawyer, since there was no intend on my part to pass intentionally bus with stop sign arm. Should I get a lawyer?

FlyingRon

They are supposed to operate the yellow flashers before opening the door. Those flashers are like the yellow light at a traffic intersection, it's to warn you that the red lights/stop arm is coming next. The fact that there is a stopped yellow bus is a big WARNING in itself that it may be about to turn the lights on.

While the sign/red lights are connected to the door, the Illinois training materials for bus drivers suggests to them they crack the door to allow the lights to come before opening it enough to let the students out.

It's a fairly hefty fine and license suspension. I'd consider at lease consulting with an attorney first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">