• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Passing School bus violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gkn2003

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

Hi,

Today I made a blunder mistake because of my unawarness. I am new to this country and driving. today morning a school bus flashing red light stopped on the opposite lane. but i haven't stopped for that school bus. Immediately a police men has given a ticket and asked me come to court on a given date.

Reason why i am not stopped for that school bus, I thought the road as separated lane, so on the drivers manual they mentioned as if the road has separated lane then the opposite side lane drivers are don't want to stop for the school bus. But after getting my ticket only i came to know that we can't pass over the school bus even though its separated lane. Roadway should have a median to pass a school bus.

Please anyone can tell me what i have to do. to ask excuse or to avoid my driver license suspension.

Please respond.

Thanks,
gkn

quincy

In Minnesota, the penalties for passing a school bus that has the red lights blinking and the stop sign out are $300 to $3000 in fines and/or one year in jail, and suspension of your driver's license. The reason the law takes this violation so seriously is that children's lives are in jeopardy if cars do not stop. I suppose you could plead ignorance of the law, which never, or to my knowledge never, works, or ask for leniency. The court might consider a restricted license, instead of a full suspension of driving privileges, that would allow you to get to and from work, but I doubt that all penalties will be waived.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Ignorance of the law unfortunately will NOT help you. Might I suggest driver's training class - bring proof of attendance and possibly the judge may allow you to have a restricted license.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

Hi,

Today I made a blunder mistake because of my unawarness. I am new to this country and driving. today morning a school bus flashing red light stopped on the opposite lane. but i haven't stopped for that school bus. Immediately a police men has given a ticket and asked me come to court on a given date.

Reason why i am not stopped for that school bus, I thought the road as separated lane, so on the drivers manual they mentioned as if the road has separated lane then the opposite side lane drivers are don't want to stop for the school bus. But after getting my ticket only i came to know that we can't pass over the school bus even though its separated lane. Roadway should have a median to pass a school bus.

Please anyone can tell me what i have to do. to ask excuse or to avoid my driver license suspension.

Please respond.

Thanks,
gkn

Why the heck are you endangering everyone by driving when you don't have the basic knowledge of our driving laws?

The Occultist

Reason why i am not stopped for that school bus, I thought the road as separated lane, so on the drivers manual they mentioned as if the road has separated lane then the opposite side lane drivers are don't want to stop for the school bus.
What the drivers manual is referring to is if the opposite direction of travel is separate by a PHYSICAL BARRIER, and not just a line/median in the street, then you are not required to stop.

sefnfot

Important Comment

What the drivers manual is referring to is if the opposite direction of travel is separate by a PHYSICAL BARRIER, and not just a line/median in the street, then you are not required to stop.
This is an important fact. If you had one of those concrete barriers or as some call them: Islands, dividing the street, then you may have a good defense. However, if there was simply yellow lines, then you are required to stop. School Bus Red Lights Blinking is considered like a Red light that requires you to stop.

Since it is your first time, you may be able to request to take a drivers education course instead of the fines and legal consequences.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">