• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Passing without sufficient clearance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wheelie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I was behind a motorhome who signalled to turn right. I began passing on the left. Shortly thereafter, Mr. Don't Know What He's Doing Motorhome, changes his mind and turns off his signal and cancels his right turn, decides to continue on going straight.

Meanwhile I had already started my passing, and, like a deer in somebody's headlights, I couldn't think that maybe I should brake, and fall back behind the motor home. Course there coulda been somebody behind me.

You know how long it takes to pass a moving motorhome?

Long enough for the motorcycle cop to see that cars are headed my way.

So much for my thinking that I was a good defensive driver. I learned my lesson. Trouble is, I'd like to learn my lesson for free, not pay the huge fine for violation of VC 21751.

Cop's notes say, car coming the other way had to move out of my way.

Anyone have thoughts on an appropriate defense, other than throw myself on the mercy of the court?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I was behind a motorhome who signalled to turn right. I began passing on the left. Shortly thereafter, Mr. Don't Know What He's Doing Motorhome, changes his mind and turns off his signal and cancels his right turn, decides to continue on going straight.

Meanwhile I had already started my passing, and, like a deer in somebody's headlights, I couldn't think that maybe I should brake, and fall back behind the motor home. Course there coulda been somebody behind me.

You know how long it takes to pass a moving motorhome?

Long enough for the motorcycle cop to see that cars are headed my way.

So much for my thinking that I was a good defensive driver. I learned my lesson. Trouble is, I'd like to learn my lesson for free, not pay the huge fine for violation of VC 21751.

Cop's notes say, car coming the other way had to move out of my way.

Anyone have thoughts on an appropriate defense, other than throw myself on the mercy of the court?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Did cars have to move out of the way? In your other thread(s) you say that you don't know. Therefor, the officer is going to testify that they DID and you are going to testify that you didn't have the situational awareness at the time that was required, so you can't recall.

I think we can see how this will turn out. You might want to ask for Traffic School

I_Got_Banned

I think we can see how this will turn out.
I agree... You might want to take the traffic school option before your trial (some court clerks will give you the opportunity to take that before the judge shows up in the courtroom), as that (traffic school), might not be an option after your trial, especially with a hard nosed judge as you seem to have.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">