• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pay ticket AND court???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cuselman990

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Mexico
I got pulled over recently for speeding, and I told the cop ill pay the ticket, and he said I have to pay the ticket AND go to court. When i went to court, the judge made me pay the ticket,pay court fee's and put me on 6 month probation, where i have to pay $30 a month, and $25 every 90 days for drug testing. Can i be forced to pay the ticket and go to court? I always thought you had the choice. Can i do anything about this situation?

Isis1

okay, what was the exact citation for speeding?

and how on earth did you talk yourself into probation and drug testing?

were you on probation for a prior crime?

ETA: you didn't show up to court high, did you?

cuselman990

Nope, never been on probation in my life. 18 years old, and in college. I just said yeah i was speeding and pretty much just admitted to it and the judge said, " 180 days of supervised probation with the requirements of 30 hrs community service, $100 drug class, and drug tested."
I dont know what you mean when you say what was the exact citation?

Isis1

Nope, never been on probation in my life. 18 years old, and in college. I just said yeah i was speeding and pretty much just admitted to it and the judge said, " 180 days of supervised probation with the requirements of 30 hrs community service, $100 drug class, and drug tested."
I dont know what you mean when you say what was the exact citation?
what was the citation on the ticket the officer gave you? there should be a number with the exact charge.

cuselman990

that same day i was in court, she put every single person on probation.(unless the crime was really bad) and a special ed kid from alabama who had had been caught with a little marijuana while in new mexico, was given probation also. the judge was ruthless.

sandyclaus

I'm finding it extremely difficult to believe that you had to be dragged into court over a simple speeding ticket. And that your court appearance resulted in probation and drug testing.

There has GOT to be more to the story than what you are telling...

cuselman990

I am being COMPLETELY honest. i told the cop ill pay the ticket instead of court and he said i have to do both, and when i showed up for court, i didnt disrespect, i said yes ma'am, no ma'am and wasnt high or anything.

Isis1

I'm finding it extremely difficult to believe that you had to be dragged into court over a simple speeding ticket. And that your court appearance resulted in probation and drug testing.

There has GOT to be more to the story than what you are telling...
there has to be. i've been looking all over the place and i can't find anyting that would indicate anything more then the ticket and points on your driving record would be applicable. this makes no sense.

cuselman990

I've told you everything. Believe it or not. Thats what happened. But ill ask an attorney tomorrow. But do you guys think this is illegal? or what do you guys think?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">