• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying old fines, getting license back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

just4ladejane

What is the name of your state? Mississippi

My 26 yr old son has a suspended license (he states due to speeding ticket in Louisiana), he received tickets in Mississippi for no insurance (drove 1/2 block to store in my car I got insurance on the car a week later), running red light (he staes it just turned yellow) This happened a few years ago....mandatory insurance had just been put into law.

Anyway, my son was irresponsible, bad time in his life/bad vices, no money. He never paid the fines, I don't even think he went to court, don't know. He has now matured :), married two years, he has the money to pay the tickets at this time, which he states is over $3000.00. Again, he received these tickets over 3+ yrs ago

We lost everything in Katrina, homes, belongings. His apartment was desroyed, all belongings personal property gone. He had to move to AZ right after the storm, no place to live here. I wanted my son back home. He got back a few weeks ago, got a FEMA trailer, Trying to get a job. No vehicle (yes I let him use mine taking a a big risk I know, but he has to look for job, run important errands) He received a FEMA check, his first. That is what he is planning on using to pay fines, in order to get license back, get job, get back on his feet, support his family.

Question: Does he just go to the clerk and pay the fines? Does he have to make arrangements to appear before a judge? Is there a possibility of negotiating wth the court regarding the amount he can or has to pay, in order to get his license? Or are the fines set? what steps should be taken?

Any suggestions and good advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I am not condoning his actions. He made mistakes, he was wrong, he let it ride for the past few years... . But he is ready to fix things. Need your advice on my best way or right way to do this.

THANKS

just4ladejane said:
We lost everything in Katrina, homes, belongings. His apartment was desroyed, all belongings personal property gone.
Sorry to hear this.

just4ladejane said:
No vehicle (yes I let him use mine taking a a big risk I know, but he has to look for job, run important errands)
Yeah, it is a big risk. You will soon be recieving a fine for allowing illegal use of the car. There is public transportation.... which is a hella lot cheaper than the ticket you and him will be getting.

just4ladejane said:
He received a FEMA check, his first. That is what he is planning on using to pay fines, in order to get license back, get job, get back on his feet, support his family.
As a tax payer, this pisses me off, as it is not what the money would be intented for. As like the rest of my tax money... wasted and put to no good use! Thanks.

just4ladejane said:
Question: Does he just go to the clerk and pay the fines? Does he have to make arrangements to appear before a judge? Is there a possibility of negotiating wth the court regarding the amount he can or has to pay, in order to get his license? Or are the fines set? what steps should be taken?
Contact the DMV and court where he owes the money. I don't think a reduction is likely, but a payment plan may be honored. The judge has the authority to lower it, but probably won't by much, if any. The best way to get over it is to use my tx money and just pay the clerk... pay them off, reinstate his licence (with my tax money) and he is good to go. Call the courts or appear and find out the answer for sure.

Best of luck and good move going to AZ... not many hurricanes there.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
FEMA money is to be used specifically for the purpose it was intended. I received FEMA checks due to flooding in my apartment a few years ago which my insurance did not cover. I lost everything I owned but some pictures on the wall, some dishes in the kitchen, and my laptop which was sitting on my desk in its case. I got two checks. One was for less than $2000 for rental and moving expenses. The other was for almost $8000 to replace everything in the place from clothes to furniture to appliances, books and food and other household goods. It is mandated by law that you keep receipts for every ITEM you purchase with the FEMA funds because if they are not being used for rent or replacement of personal property you can be arrested for fraud and ordered to repay it.

just4ladejane

thanks for advice

He lost everything in hurricane. I have helped him alot. money from FEMA to be used to replace personal property loss....that is what check is intended for. He needs a license in order to get a car in order to get a job in oder to support his family and get back on his feet....he will have to do WITHOUT personal items like tv radio, clothes, household items and other things he had before...for a long time. He was just recently blessed with FEMA trailer set up on my property. He has a couple of towels, clothes I bought from thrift stores, etc. that is it. I will help when I can with neccessities. He is no longer allowed to use my car. He knows it. He is living low, rock bottom but sees hope, like us all.

He will have the money saved back up one day and with that he will buy/replace the things he had before things he needs. He pays taxes, and so do I.

Thank you guys for your advice. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">