• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pedestrian Right of Way Violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

charlie422

This happened in California: Today, I had to drive my boss's car from one part of town to the other so he could travel from meeting-to-meeting smoothly (he had taken a ride initially, that's beside the point). As I was driving down one street, I came to a four-way stop with a pedestrian crossing beyond it. It was my turn to go, so I did, and then the next person to go failed to wait and started to go towards me, too fast. Since I was driving my boss's car, I sped up to avoid the other car. A pedestrian was in the dead center of the crosswalk (right on the lines dividing the street), and I went through it on the right side of the street. As I passed, she shouted "Are you kidding me?!" I drove down to the end of the street and waited for the light at the end of the street to change. As I did, she walked down, knocked on the window, and mouthed that she was calling the police before she stormed off. The street was otherwise empty. Now I'm freaked out. It's my boss's car, so if she called it in, the ticket would go to him. I'm wondering if it's possible to even get a ticket from a "her word against mine situation," but one thing I definitely want to avoid is someone calling my boss to ask about it. He's not a very understanding person.

What can I do to:
1. Check if she actually called in a pedestrian right of way violation on the car
2. If she did, adjust the violation to me, not my boss

CdwJava

If the pedestrian did call the police, they would not issue a citation to a John Doe, even if the car is registered to him. At least they SHOULD not issue it.

In such a case they would likely have to go the route of a complaint and that would generally require they at least try to make contact with the registered owner to get his statement in which case he would say you were driving the car and the police might call you. But, as it is unlikely the police have the resources to hunt down an unknown traffic violator (an infraction offense), I would not stress too much.

charlie422

Even if it's likely she got the license plate and make/model? I know the parking enforcement can hand out tickets with just that information, so is it still considered a John Doe?

CdwJava

Even if it's likely she got the license plate and make/model? I know the parking enforcement can hand out tickets with just that information, so is it still considered a John Doe?
That would not be a parking citation.

If we got a call for this, the most we might do is find the person and tell them to be more careful next time. To do any more, we'd have to request a complaint through the DA's office ... and, really, the DA is no more inclined to deal with an infraction than the police.

OHRoadwarrior

The appropriate response would have been to motion the other car to proceed and wait until it was safe for you to do so. You need to respect no kill zones.

. You need to respect no kill zones.
NO kill zones -- I understand now. lol

But the the OP have no fear ! No citation will be issued on such an occasion .. the pedestrian does not even know you so unless you said "I'm Will Wheaton and live at 1 Enterprise Drive, Starfleet Academy !!! " they'll never know who to send out the ticket to ************** and if you did, well then, its Will Wheaton's problem now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">