• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pennsylvania Charge: Traffic Control Signal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WeeBit

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

The other day I was pulled over for speeding. It was 53 in a 35. The officer filled out my ticket, handed it back to me and told me that he wrote it so that I wouldn't get points. I'd like to know a) if I really won't get any points on my license b) how it affects my insurance and c) if there's a lesser charge I can appeal for.

Charge -
He checked "Traffic-Control Signals", crossed out "Signals" and wrote in "Device"

Nature of Offense -
Speeding 53.6 MPH Allowed 35 MPH
Clocked

This is my first in PA. With previous speeding tickets in NC, I could show up to court and ask for it to be dropped to 9 over or try to have a lawyer change it to a non-moving violation. Is there maybe a class I can take to deal with it?

Any insight?

FlyingRon

NC does not assess points for out-of-state violations. NC has a statutory insurance point system as well and I think you are safe there.

You'll most likely burn more time trying to plead this down than it will save you. Even minor infractions in PA have effective fines several times the base amount due to the piling on of various costs (I got a right turn on red citation once and it had line items for the ambulance and crime victims compensation funds? Right turn on red victims?).

You don't indicate what you were charged with (it will be something like 75 followed by a four digit number in the 3000's). PA magistrates can be pretty cranky.

WeeBit

Sorry, to clarify I'm now living in PA with a PA license after previously living in NC where I'm more familiar with their procedures.

And I don't see anything with 75 but the ticket has:

24. Charge
X Traffic-Control Signals (Signals is crossed out, Device is written in)

25. Nature of Offense
X Speeding 53.6 MPH Allowed 35MPH
X Clocked

X Statute VC

27. SEC.

28. SUB SEC.
a

FINE 25.00
E.M.S. 10.00
MCARE 30.00
COSTS 34.50
J.C.P./A.T.J 10.00

TOTAL $109.50

Hope that helps.

Thanks

I would pay the fine in this case since the 3111 is generally what you fight for at a hearing if a dismissal is questionable. But a cop giving one at roadside...well he must not want to go to a hearing or something.

Look at it as a toll for speeding (not saying that you were) even though you weren't actually charged with speeding. What a deal.

WeeBit

Okay, great. So it's like a warning + fine. No points, etc.

Will it show up on my driving record if I were to get pulled again?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">