• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

permitting unauthorized person to drive

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TaylorD87

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

I was given a ticket today after my neighbor asked to use my car to get to work. Her husband drove and doesn't have a license. I feel like I may have acted as if it weren't a huge deal to the officer because I was trying to lighten the mood of the situation and didn't want my neighbor's husband getting any more grief that he already was for driving without a license as well as not wanting to not get him in any more trouble for failing to tell me he didn't have a valid license.

The reason I was on the scene and the cop was able to give me the ticket was because the neighbor called me saying he was pulled over a mile down the road. He asked where the insurance and registration could be found. He couldn't find the registration and seemed very flustered so i offered to walk down to him and bring him a copy of it, I just happen to have an extra. I would have handled the entire situation differently from the time my neighbor knocked on my door, but especially speaking with the officer. I had no idea this was an actual offense. IT IS A SIMPLE MISDEMEANOR !! I have no record!! I can't believe I am having to deal with this and I am worried I may have no defense seeing how I never told the officer I was lied to about him having a license. Help?!

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I can't believe I am having to deal with this and I am worried I may have no defense seeing how I never told the officer I was lied to about him having a license.

I can't believe you handed your car keys over to someone you apparently don't know very well.

When you give someone your car YOU need to ensure that they are properly licensed - otherwise don't hand over the keys. Being a "nice guy" will do nothing but get you into trouble.

Lending someone a loaf of bread is one thing, but your CAR?

TaylorD87

Fair enough. I could defend myself and say I thought I knew him and his wife but it's clear I made a poor choice by letting them use my car. That's not exactly what I'm looking for... Just hoping for some advice from someone who may have been thru something similar...

justalayman

I can't believe I am having to deal with this and I am worried I may have no defense seeing how I never told the officer I was lied to about him having a license. Help?!
How were you lied to about him having a license?

tranquility

I feel like I may have acted as if it weren't a huge deal to the officer because I was trying to lighten the mood of the situation and didn't want my neighbor's husband getting any more grief that he already was for driving without a license as well as not wanting to not get him in any more trouble for failing to tell me he didn't have a valid license.
Good old talking to the police. How's that working out for you? (Sarcasm. DON'T TALK TO THE POLICE. If you called them, maybe. Even then, the game is on. Be ready. [And, you're probably not knowledgeable enough to be ready.])

IT IS A SIMPLE MISDEMEANOR !!
Oh, just a crime. No worries. Few employers really care if a potential hire has been convicted of a crime. (Again, sarcasm. ALL employers would care of it.)

Get an attorney. You may have defenses. It will cost you money. At least hundreds, maybe thousands. I'd go with a good attorney thousands option, but, I don't know your life.

As to if you can sue the neighbor for the funds, depends on your original agreement.

latigo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

I was given a ticket today after my neighbor asked to use my car to get to work. Her husband drove and doesn't have a license. I feel like I may have acted as if it weren't a huge deal to the officer because I was trying to lighten the mood of the situation and didn't want my neighbor's husband getting any more grief that he already was for driving without a license as well as not wanting to not get him in any more trouble for failing to tell me he didn't have a valid license.

The reason I was on the scene and the cop was able to give me the ticket was because the neighbor called me saying he was pulled over a mile down the road. He asked where the insurance and registration could be found. He couldn't find the registration and seemed very flustered so i offered to walk down to him and bring him a copy of it, I just happen to have an extra. I would have handled the entire situation differently from the time my neighbor knocked on my door, but especially speaking with the officer. I had no idea this was an actual offense. IT IS A SIMPLE MISDEMEANOR !! I have no record!! I can't believe I am having to deal with this and I am worried I may have no defense seeing how I never told the officer I was lied to about him having a license. Help?!
Rather than further embellishing the thread with more of you yawn inducing excuses for your conduct how about simply telling us what the bloody "ticket" was for?

The use of your motor vehicle by an unlicensed operator, lying to an officer, the absence of the vehicle registration, or what?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">