• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Photo enforcement (red light violation)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

firemandave

What is the name of your state? Ohio

HB 56 was vetoed back in Jan of 07. Do I have to pay for a volation that I recieved or should I elect to go to a hearing and dispute this case?

racer72

What is the name of your state? Ohio

HB 56 was vetoed back in Jan of 07. Do I have to pay for a volation that I recieved or should I elect to go to a hearing and dispute this case?
HB-56 would have placed numerous restrictions on red light cameras, it does not outlaw them. Because it was vetoed, there are very few restrictions in place on red light cameras. Whether you want to fight the ticket or not depends on what you want to do.

firemandave

So, then it would more cost effective to just pay the ticket than to get a lawyer and make a supreme court case outta this.

Maestro64

I would first vote out your governor...

Grant it I do not agree that an officer need to be present, this gets rid of the hearsay issue when you try to fight it in court. But it looks like they were attempting to make sure all the camera systems operated the same way across the state so each local government did not do their own thing and get rid of the revenue sharing issue.

PA has a very good statute on the books for red-light cameras, it is the longest and most thorough of the rules of the roads sub-chapters PA has. It explains exactly how it must be done, the traffic studies that are required and how the light and cameras must be set up. These are set up on Phily which I have seen people run a light 2 or 3 seconds after my light turn green. Those people just ignore all the traffic signs so anything there is an improvement.

So vote the guy out and get your local rep to put the law throw again. And you can attempt to fight it on the hearsay issue, since you do have a right to confront your accuser which in this case is a camera.

Maestro64

A case is being heard right now in the Ohio Supreme court which could end the use of Photo enforcement in Ohio

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/19/1976.asp

Well at least turn it back to criminal charge verse civil, it appear local government rewrote the laws and made ticket issued as part of photo enforcement a civil offense. There by limiting your ability to fight the ticket, since you can not argue hearsay, and the local government only needs to assert that it is more likely than not that a violation occurred.

Hope your Supreme Court Justices can see that these things are about money not people safety.

Oh it took an Lawyers wife getting one of these tickets to take it to the supreme court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">