• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Photo Radar Cameras

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cherile2134

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I am like a lot of people who hate the speed cameras.

I think the ticket itself is questionable. I do not know of any other place where you can be charged for a crime on supposition. The ticket says. you were going APPROX. ______. and it fills in the blank.
Where in the law does it say you can be convicted of a crime on approximates? What happen to Innocent until proven guilty. How can a machine accuse you of an approximate speed. That gives doubt and therefore assumes you could or couldn't be going over the speed limit.

How many people have just paid the ticket because they didn't have time to fight it in court. They have jobs and obligations that take their time. To be told pay the fine or go to court, is an easy way for the state to make a lot of money. This is just another way to squeeze the tax payer.
I would like to see the report they gave that said the accidents were down this year because of speed cameras. Compared to what and when.
The only real way to have a true comparison is to compare the same time and date at the same location as last year. I think they would find that there are a lot less people on the road this year then last. Did they do their comparison based on the number of people on the road or just on the date and time. I don't see that the cameras add any benefit to Arizona and all they do is cause more problems and expense then they are worth. Arizona people are already suffering due to the economy why add to it. They are trying to get blood out of a turnip from what I see.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I_Got_Banned

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I am like a lot of people who hate the speed cameras.

I think the ticket itself is questionable. I do not know of any other place where you can be charged for a crime on supposition. The ticket says. you were going APPROX. ______. and it fills in the blank.
Where in the law does it say you can be convicted of a crime on approximates? What happen to Innocent until proven guilty. How can a machine accuse you of an approximate speed. That gives doubt and therefore assumes you could or couldn't be going over the speed limit.

How many people have just paid the ticket because they didn't have time to fight it in court. They have jobs and obligations that take their time. To be told pay the fine or go to court, is an easy way for the state to make a lot of money. This is just another way to squeeze the tax payer.
I would like to see the report they gave that said the accidents were down this year because of speed cameras. Compared to what and when.
The only real way to have a true comparison is to compare the same time and date at the same location as last year. I think they would find that there are a lot less people on the road this year then last. Did they do their comparison based on the number of people on the road or just on the date and time. I don't see that the cameras add any benefit to Arizona and all they do is cause more problems and expense then they are worth. Arizona people are already suffering due to the economy why add to it. They are trying to get blood out of a turnip from what I see.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Did you have an actual question about a citation or are you just letting off some steam?

The Occultist

I agree with the above post. This website is for legal advice, NOT for you to share your opinions. If you have a legal question, feel free to ask it.

Cherile2134

Speed Cameras

My question is....
Can you be sited for a ticket that states and approximate speed or not?

I don't think you can, I think it needs to state what your speed was.

Since this was a Free legal advice site, I thought it was a good question.

Why go to court if you don't stand a chance. It is a waste of everyones time, don't you think.

Thanks

fairisfair

My question is....
Can you be sited for a ticket that states and approximate speed or not?

I don't think you can, I think it needs to state what your speed was.

Since this was a Free legal advice site, I thought it was a good question.

Why go to court if you don't stand a chance. It is a waste of everyones time, don't you think.

Thanks
If you are in Arizona, and you received your citation in the mail... why go to court at all???

You are not legally obligated to appear in court UNLESS you receive acceptable service of your citation.

That does NOT include your mailbox.

Cherile2134

I agree, with what you are saying. That you have to be served and not to a mail box.

I was just curious for all those people out there who are getting ticketed and paying the fine because they don't have time to fight it in court. No one has mentioned the idea that maybe they wouldn't have to pay the fine if the ticket could not be inforced because of the word APPROX. tome that means reasonable doubt.
I was wanting some legal confirmation on it thats all.
Thank you
Cher

I_Got_Banned

Title 28 - Transportation
ARS Section 28-1557. Traffic complaint form
A. Each traffic enforcement agency in this state shall use a uniform traffic ticket and complaint form for traffic complaints pursuant to the rules of procedure in traffic cases adopted by the supreme court of Arizona that are issued in books meeting the requirements of this article.​

While that might not answer your question, it sets you off in the right direction.

Last edited:

fairisfair

I agree, with what you are saying. That you have to be served and not to a mail box.

I was just curious for all those people out there who are getting ticketed and paying the fine because they don't have time to fight it in court. No one has mentioned the idea that maybe they wouldn't have to pay the fine if the ticket could not be inforced because of the word APPROX. tome that means reasonable doubt.
I was wanting some legal confirmation on it thats all.
Thank you
Cher
I got news for you, the handwritten citations handed to you by a police officer ALSO say approximately.

It is apparently a form approved by the State of Arizona, and it isn't going to offer you the loop hole you are looking for.

Cherile2134

Thank you for the statute and information.
I guess it is like everything, if one wanted to challenge it they have the right. Most likely depends on the judge, but no decisive answer to the question in general. In other words, it all depends on how good your attorney is I guess.
Thanks again for the info.
Cher

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">