• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Photo Radar Citation mailed to me Az

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jflake

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I live in Arizona and recieved a citation for a vehicle that is registered in my name, but I am not the driver. The citation was also issued in my name. It is a photo radar ticket for speeding 59 in a 45 zone and the picture is so bad I could not tell your for certain who the driver is. However the picture of my license plate is very clear.

That said the driver did warn me that the ticket was coming, but technically with the information provided it could be one of about 6 people that had access to my vehicle on that day ( Family ). I was in another city at the time, and the reason I don't have my car is because I no longer drive due to medications for a serious illness have caused me to pass out while driving once and I chose not to take that chance again until my illness is resolved. The only thing you can tell from the picture is that the driver is female. I have not had my car in my possession since the end of May and it is now August...so three months.

What are my legal obligations for this 210.00 citation? Do I have to legally declaire who the driver is?

Thank you.:eek:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I live in Arizona and recieved a citation for a vehicle that is registered in my name, but I am not the driver. The citation was also issued in my name. It is a photo radar ticket for speeding 59 in a 45 zone and the picture is so bad I could not tell your for certain who the driver is. However the picture of my license plate is very clear.

That said the driver did warn me that the ticket was coming, but technically with the information provided it could be one of about 6 people that had access to my vehicle on that day ( Family ). I was in another city at the time, and the reason I don't have my car is because I no longer drive due to medications for a serious illness have caused me to pass out while driving once and I chose not to take that chance again until my illness is resolved. The only thing you can tell from the picture is that the driver is female. I have not had my car in my possession since the end of May and it is now August...so three months.

What are my legal obligations for this 210.00 citation? Do I have to legally declaire who the driver is?

Thank you.:eek:
Most likely you would have to plead not guilty and have a hearing in front of the judge to make the argument that it is not you.

Who's Liable?

Most likely you would have to plead not guilty and have a hearing in front of the judge to make the argument that it is not you.
Incorrect information. OP does not have to do anything. AZ law deems mailed photo radar citations as NOT being properly served.

This has been covered multiple times on this board.

The Occultist

Incorrect information. OP does not have to do anything. AZ law deems mailed photo radar citations as NOT being properly served.

This has been covered multiple times on this board.
I'm telling you, AZ does indeed consider certified mail to be a proper serve. Now, the OP didn't indicate that it was certified and I'm sure that it wasn't, but you really oughtta throw that caveat in there.

But yes, assuming it was not sent certified, then yeah, ignore it.

aldaron

Question- Can't CA suspend his DL privledges in CA then it affects his AZ DL over this ticket by not responding to it at all? If not then what enforcement tool does CA use? Everyone then could just ignore these tickets.

randomguy

Question- Can't CA suspend his DL privledges in CA then it affects his AZ DL over this ticket by not responding to it at all? If not then what enforcement tool does CA use? Everyone then could just ignore these tickets.
CA do not even see the ticket at this point. CA will only find out if he get convicted and do no do traffic school. Being that in AZ you must basically be served in person within 90 days unless such thing happens the ticket is null and void. So yes everyone in AZ pretty much ignore them.

Who's Liable?

I'm telling you, AZ does indeed consider certified mail to be a proper serve. Now, the OP didn't indicate that it was certified and I'm sure that it wasn't, but you really oughtta throw that caveat in there.

But yes, assuming it was not sent certified, then yeah, ignore it.
None of the notices they(DMV) send out are sent certified. They are only sent via regular postal mail. Even the second notice they send out are sent via regular postal mail.

The Occultist

None of the notices they(DMV) send out are sent certified. They are only sent via regular postal mail. Even the second notice they send out are sent via regular postal mail.
While I do know of exceptions, I shall concede that they were "few and far between" enough that I really shouldn't argue the point at all. However, I still insist that you should mention the caveat regardless of how rare it might be, just in case the OP in any random thread happens to be that one that falls between the cracks of normalcy.

The Occultist

Perhaps my comprehension is not what it should be right now, but I can find no reference whatsoever in the OP in regards to CA. That being said: why on earth are you bringing CA into this?? :confused:

randomguy

Perhaps my comprehension is not what it should be right now, but I can find no reference whatsoever in the OP in regards to CA. That being said: why on earth are you bringing CA into this?? :confused:
He is not talking about CA state bu collection agency(ca). He got me confused as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">