• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Photo radar red light ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

redinavondale

What is the name of your state? Avondale, AZ

My friend drove my car and turned left when the light already turned red for a second. i received a photo radar ticket in the mail last week because i am the registered owner. What should i do?

THanks

The Occultist

Does the picture show who was driving? If so, does it also show you in the car?

If they have no proof that you were in the car, then they have no proof that you deserve the ticket. And as far as I know, you are not legally responsible to provide information for who might have been driving the vehicle at the time of infraction.

redinavondale

yes it shows a picture of the driver, just the driver. and i wasn't in the car, i wasn't in town. So shoujdl i just throw away the tickeT?

yes it shows a picture of the driver, just the driver. and i wasn't in the car, i wasn't in town. So shoujdl i just throw away the tickeT?

:eek:throw away the ticket?

ya...see what happens next.....lol

it might be a defense that you were not the one driving, but a car you lent out that is registered to you committed a offense. you better take a look into it at least and not ignore it. the court would not be too amused that you "threw it away" just cause the picture of the driver wasn't you.

here is a cut and paste:

OWNER OR DRIVER RESPONSIBILITY
In most states, a ticket is issued to the vehicle_s owner, no matter who_s
actually driving. In these states, the red-light camera only needs to photograph
the car from behind, since the authorities only need a clear view of
the rear license plate. These jurisdictions treat automated enforcement
citations just like parking tickets in that the registered owner is liable.
Similarly, like parking tickets, these citations do not result in points and
are not recorded on a driver_s record.
Other states, notably California and Arizona, hold the vehicle_s driver
liable and points are assessed on the driver_s record. These and other differences
in automated enforcement laws are summarized on the web
pages of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety at (http://www.
hwysafety.org). (On the web page, click on IIHS research by topic and
then click on red light cameras.)
Although legislation can be written both ways, owner liability laws are
far more effective. According to the IIHS, the current experience with
frontal photography finds a very large loss of citations simply because
police cannot clearly identify the driver. Glare, dirty windshields, sun
visors, missing front plates, even deliberate concealment attempts by drivers
have hindered driver identification such that the majority (over 60
percent) of offenders escape enforcement. In addition, motorcycles do not
have front plates and, therefore, are effectively exempt from enforcement.
Most countries around the world operate their red light camera programs
under the premise that the vehicle owner is responsible for a red light violation
unless the owner names the driver. This system also eliminates the
concerns about the privacy of individuals within the vehicle and the often
difficult process of identifying a person who is not the registered owner of
the vehicle.

http://www.photoradarlaw.com/faq-home.htm

one of the questions was what do i do if i receive a photo radar in the mail.

she answers NOTHING! and she's a well known lawyer. now i'm confused!
sorry...never heard of HER. but if you want to take her advice...go ahead. lawyers are not always right...and does she practice in Arizona? Will she defend your ticket if they think otherwise than what she posted on her site? The choice is yours. :cool:

Maestro64

I said this before, you can ignore the ticket and not pay it since you are in your right and the government has no formal record you ever receiving it. Then you can stand on the high ground and know that no mater what you will win.

However in the process the government will see this as an unpaid ticket, they will not care why it is unpaid and put a warrant out for you and possible suspend your license. Then the next time you get a ticket the officer will see that there is a warrant or suspended license and will issue you more tickets, possibly impound your car, and maybe haul you in.

Remember you did nothing wrong and you were in your right, however the mess you are now in will required you to hire a lawyer to clear yourself, and mostly likely you will win since the original ticket was never valid. Oh, keep in mind all the money you spent getting out of this you will not recover since they government will never reimburse you for their mistake.

I know this sounds harsh but this is the current over zealous method local government are using to make revenue, since most redlight cameras have not made intersection safer, it about making money in the guise public safety and you know what happen when you get between someone and their money.

A long winded answer to just go in and fight it and show that it is not you, and asked for an immediate dismissal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">