• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Photo Radar Speeding Ticket question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

a2stastn

What is the name of your state? Arizona

I received a $236 ticket for driving 26 mph in a 15 mph school zone in Scottsdale, AZ in the mail. I just moved to Arizona, first time driving through Scottsdale, and I was distracted by the flashing lights on the van and never saw the temporary 15 mph sign until after the lights flashed. Due to the confusion and newness to the area, I looked at the pictures online, called the court where the representative advised me to email the Chief of Police and Mayor of Scottsdale. I did, but they can't do anything about my ticket. The ticket does say the violation occurred at 5:22AM when the only time I drove through the area was 12:22PM, so their time is wrong. Does this matter at all?

Second, I've done some research and found that since I was never personally served the ticket, I can ignore the ticket and anybody that tries to serve it to me and it will be dismissed. I also saw I can appeal to the Superior Court, pay the $35 fee for that, and they will most likely throw it out and order Scottsdale to reimburse me the $35 fee, but that process takes several months and my court date is Oct. 1st. Since I viewed my photos online, talked to someone at the court referencing my ticket #, and emailed the Police Chief and Mayor, does that mean I have acknowledged receipt of the ticket, or does it still have to be personally served?

Should I ignore the ticket and ignore people trying to serve me the ticket, appeal to the Superior Court, fight the ticket in court, or take the Defensive Driving Course? Thanks in advance.

The Occultist

Do you know what kind of radar took the picture? If it was in a school zone, it could have been a van-based unit, and if that's the case, I'm not sure that those are as ignorable as the ones, say, on the 101. I could be mistaken as I have no experience dealing with the vans and can only go off of what I have heard, which isn't very much at all. Perhaps somebody more knowledgeable will be able to post their insight.

That being said, I'm afraid I have to scold you now. I don't care what kind of lights were flashing, how do you not notice that you're in a school zone. There mere presence of a school means, posted speed limit or not, the speed limit drops to 15mph, and for a very good reason. I don't know how long you've been in AZ, but a mere week of driving around should make you aware how strict, otherwise speeding and red light running or not, the state can be about school zones.

Maestro64

Yes, you can ignore it and stand on high ground and proclaim they have no proof you ever received the ticket and with a good lawyer you can appeal this and win.

However, the state does no care they have no proof you ever received it when they suspend your license for failure to pay an outstanding ticket. Then the next time you get a ticket and the officer runs your license and they find it was suspend and writes you more tickets and possible impound your car and the list goes on, at that point do you think it is smart to ignore it.

Remember all the time you were in right and with lots of money and a good lawyer you would probably win. You may not like that but that is the reality we all live in they hold all the cards.

Now if you want to fight the ticket, you can win on a number of issues and if you research both here and on the net you will find photo radar defenses, the main one is the hearsay and the inability to confront your accusers defense. Since your accuser is a camera and no one can testify to the facts since it would be hearsay.

However, the more simpler defense is the time, all you have to shows is the time on the ticket and fact that the lights are not active during that period and your done.

And I will scold you either

a2stastn

yes it was a van

yes, it was a van-based radar unit. Is there actually someone in the vans, because it's only there when school is in session?

I have been in Arizona for two months but never driven by a school zone. Where I come from in Michigan, when you approach a school or the speed limit is dropping, they have numerous warning signs that you are approaching a "slow, school zone" or "speed limit 15 mph during school hours ahead", and there was no warnings of the sort at this school zone on Via Linda in Scottsdale.

So you think I could contest the ticket based that it said the violation occurred at 5:22AM, but I only drove through there at 12:22PM? The pictures clearly show it was daylight out when the camera took the pictures and they show pictures of me driving, just their time was off. Thanks for the advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">