• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Photo red Light

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wrightflyer

What is the name of your state? Washington
Ticket in the mail for running a red light...not certified mail...what are my options?

racer72

Do they need a clear picture of my face?
The issuers of the ticket don't care about who was driving the car, all they need is proof (which the picture provides) that a vehicle did commit an infraction. As the registered owner, you are liable for that ticket.

wrightflyer

Now I see what all the fuss is about photo enforcement...if someone were to steal my car and use it in a drive-by shooting I would still be held liable?
I dont remember running it but I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and pay it.

VeronicaLodge

well hopefully if someone stole your car you would file a police report reporting it stolen.

do you remember loaning your car out? if so, pay the ticket, and tell your friend to pay you back.

fairisfair

The issuers of the ticket don't care about who was driving the car, all they need is proof (which the picture provides) that a vehicle did commit an infraction. As the registered owner, you are liable for that ticket.
actually, I don't believe that is true. They must in fact be able to identify you. Cars don't commit infractions, people do.

fairisfair

well hopefully if someone stole your car you would file a police report reporting it stolen.

do you remember loaning your car out? if so, pay the ticket, and tell your friend to pay you back.
I wouldn't suggest this to anyone. After all it would be HIS driving record that was assessed with the points attached to that infraction.

wrightflyer

O.K. this is pretty much what I'm finding on the internet...some saying they need a clear picture of your face and some saying they do not.
How about the theory that a ticket in the mail is not a "real" ticket and that you have not been officailly notified until you have been served with an official summons?
Then all you have to do is avoid the processor.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
O.K. this is pretty much what I'm finding on the internet...some saying they need a clear picture of your face and some saying they do not.
How about the theory that a ticket in the mail is not a "real" ticket and that you have not been officailly notified until you have been served with an official summons?
Nope - that won't work.
Concentrate on the facts. Did you run the red light? Are you identifiable in the picture?

fairisfair

In my state that works, the avoidance of an in person service. After a period of time, the citations are merely dismissed.

It appears however, that WA turns the nonpayors over to a collection agency and suspends their registration. which is not a good thing. Doesn't it give you a date and a place that it happened? were you there then? I personally wouldn't pay it, just to see what happened, but then again, I am a rebel, oh and I live in a state where that works.

and No, I have never gotten one. not myself. . . . but I do know lots of others who have.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">