• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Plea deal in NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hinher

I recently plead not guilty to a speeding ticket i received. I got a letter back saying that I can request a reduction by contacting the DA's office in writing. The in writing part was written in all caps. This leave me with two questions:

1. What am I supposed to say in my letter (why I deserve a reduction?, what reduction I'd agree to?, just that I want a reduction?, etc.)

2. When they say "IN WRITING" does that mean handwritten or just that I need to contact them by mail.

asiny

I recently plead not guilty to a speeding ticket i received. I got a letter back saying that I can request a reduction by contacting the DA's office in writing. The in writing part was written in all caps. This leave me with two questions:

1. What am I supposed to say in my letter (why I deserve a reduction?, what reduction I'd agree to?, just that I want a reduction?, etc.)
What are the circumstances of the ticket? Why just ask for a reduction and not a flat out dismissal?
2. When they say "IN WRITING" does that mean handwritten or just that I need to contact them by mail.
No. They just mean you have to mail them a letter using good, old-fashioned, stamp and postage :)

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Say anything you want. Why do you think you deserve a reduction?

You're kidding, right?

hinher

What are the circumstances of the ticket? Why just ask for a reduction and not a flat out dismissal?
Well I had just gotten onto the highway and basically my car does not accelerate fast enough for me to have been going the officer said i was. The letter only mentions asking for a reduction. From my understanding, getting my ticket dismissed would require going to court and I would rather not have to do that.

slwslw

Defered adjudication

Also ask for a defered adjudication, which means, if granted, you'll pay the fine and maybe a surcharge but it'll stay off your record.

HighwayMan

Also ask for a defered adjudication, which means, if granted, you'll pay the fine and maybe a surcharge but it'll stay off your record.
Once again, if you don't know stop giving advice based on guessing. As YAG pointed out this doesn't exist in New York. All you seem to be doing here is wasting people's time.

davidmcbeth3

Actually, I would call them and see if an agreement can be made and then send them a letter memorializing the oral agreement. If you cannot reach them via phone (or personal visit) then just write.

slwslw

Re: member: You are guilty

There are counties in New York that use a TVB (traffic violations bureau) where they do not accept deferred adjudications. In the other counties you can get various types of deferments.

Up until a few years ago the New York State Troopers themselves were able to perform this for violators but there was a big controversy over that because many thought it wrong for the Trooper to make deals as the prosecutor would normally do.

Talk to a New York Atty. and he'll help you keep the ticket off your MV record.

asiny

Actually, I would call them and see if an agreement can be made and then send them a letter memorializing the oral agreement. If you cannot reach them via phone (or personal visit) then just write.
Strange, usually when it specifies something such as "IN WRITING"... I wonder if the OP should, I don't know, write as per their specification? :rolleyes:

And as for slwslw... seriously. Stop trying to give advice with nonsense. You even copy and pasted your advice from another thread, advising an OP that they should just apply for the GUN as per their CIVIL RIGHTS... in a thread that had NOTHING in reference to firearms.

Yeah..... I believe we have a Dillon, jr. :D

slwslw

Just wondering

asiny

I'm just curious, do you talk to people, in person, the same way you write to me?

...or are you just upset because I give advice to convicts? or are you one of those girlie men who's frightened of guns? (you referred to me as Dillon jr.)

Last edited:

FlyingRon

asiny

I'm just curious, do you talk to people, in person, the same way you write to me?

...or are you just upset because I give advice to convicts? or are you one of those girlie men who's frightened of guns? (you referred to me as Dillon jr.)
No because most people are polite, reasonably intelligent people who don't come jeopardizing people by posting completely incorrect and other wise useless information, posting to months old thread, and screwing with the fonts, even though you've been informed on countless occasions that such behavior is counter to the accepted behavior on this forum.

As long as you continue to give out incorrect information and otherwise make a jerk out of yourself, you can expect people to treat you accordingly.

You Are Guilty

Talk to a New York Atty. and he'll help you keep the ticket off your MV record.
While speaking with a lawyer is always good advice, I will just point out that in this case, he already did.

PS. Good luck with that whole law school thing. You may want to stick more with the "reading" posts than "answering" them until you get that degree, though.

HighwayMan

In the other counties you can get various types of deferments.
That's just plain wrong. It is not an issue dealt with by county. Most courts will do nothing of the sort for a traffic offense, no matter what county.

hinher

Well a deferred adjunction is obviously out.

What should I be asking for then? My main concern is keeping points off my record, I don't really care about the fine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">