• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

plead guilty or not guilty?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

Enikki

What is the name of your state? Georgia
I received a ticket for no proof of insurance. The insurance that was on the car expired four days before the ticket and I got insurance the day after the ticket. I was just given the car by my mom and just got it out the shop (engine) two days before the ticket. I did not know the insurance was expired. Does this mean that I plead not guilty because I didn't know or does it even matter? :confused:

Rochelle

You can plead not guilty, but the ticket will hold. As the operator of the vehicle, it is your responsiblity to check on the validity of the insurance. You can try to explain the circumstances and see if the judge will give you a break. Good luck.

E

Enikki

thanks!

Thank you for the advise. Do you think that it matters that I wasn't the one driving when I got the ticket?

P

plifter

Plead not guilty and go to trial. There is a chance that the officer won't show up to testify. If the officer is a no show then you win by default. If he does show, make sure to let the judge know you re-newed the insurance immediately after and bring your proof of insurance. The judge may be sympathetic and let you off or lower the fine. It never hurts to try.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">