• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pleaded Not Guilty...still asked to pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

s next2 the a

What is the name of your state?Pennsylvania

i lost the copy of my speeding ticket...i called and they said they would send another copy in the mail...they also asked me to send in the money...i told them i could make payments of 50$ its been a week...they still havent sent me a copy of the ticket...if im pleading not guilty...is it still necessary for me to send in the money?...doesnt that mean i am pleading guilty?...

snostar

s next2 the a said:

i lost the copy of my speeding ticket...i called and they said they would send another copy in the mail...they also asked me to send in the money...i told them i could make payments of 50$ its been a week...they still havent sent me a copy of the ticket...if im pleading not guilty...is it still necessary for me to send in the money?...doesnt that mean i am pleading guilty?...
If you plead not guilty you will have to show up for a court appearance. Better call them again, or go down and straighten it out.

s next2 the a

they said they would mail me a form explaining when my court date would be and told me to mail them 'the magistrate' in as much as i could...then she asked me how i would like to plead and i said not guilty...so therefore shouldnt i not have to pay any money on my ticket untill i am found guilty?...i just thought if i am pleading not guilty no cash id due on the ticket untill i am found guilty

s next2 the a said:
they said they would mail me a form explaining when my court date would be and told me to mail them 'the magistrate' in as much as i could...then she asked me how i would like to plead and i said not guilty...so therefore shouldnt i not have to pay any money on my ticket untill i am found guilty?...i just thought if i am pleading not guilty no cash id due on the ticket untill i am found guilty
They may require you to post a security to ensure you show up for court. If you fail, they keep the money. That's why they may make you pay in advance.

justalayman

s next2 the a said:

Is it possible the clerk was not aware you intended to plead not guilty?
Was there some sort of dollar amount you were supposed to send in? Without the ticket there is no true way to provide amount to pay.
Generally no you don't pay anything if until you admit guilt or are found guilty.

Easy solution. Pick up the phone and explain you dilemma. I add that you would want to do this ASAP. If there is no response within the allotted time (varies) a bench warrant can be issued for your arrest. BTW phone calls don't count as a response.

In PA you have to send in the fine amount plus $6.00 to submit a not guilty plea. If no fine is specified on the ticket, then $50 is required.

justalayman

loulblades said:
In PA you have to send in the fine amount plus $6.00 to submit a not guilty plea. If no fine is specified on the ticket, then $50 is required.
Wow pre-emptive payment. What happened to innocent until proven guilty?
And so I learn****************************......

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">