• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pleading Not Guilty in FL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

barrelgirl01

What is the name of your state? Florida, Orange County

I want to plead not guilty for a speeding ticket I received in Orlando, Florida. I was driving on a 4-lane highway heading north on SR 417. I was on the lane closest to the median going north and the cop was in the lane closest to the median going south. To pull me over he had to cut across a grassy median on SR 417 (which is an illegal U-turn, it is also dangerous to other drivers). Is this legal for him to do? I also believe I was going a little bit slower then what the officer said I was going. Please help me decide if pleading not guilty is the right thing for me to do and what is the best way for me to go about this. Thank you!

S

seniorjudge

If you have evidence that you were not, in fact, speeding, plead not guilty and have a trial.

If you don't have evidence that you were not, in fact, speeding, plead guilty and pay the fine.

It is not illegal for the officer so you are busted.

Due to the danger, in some states only State Troopers are trained and allowed to make this maneuver (may only apply to interstates). Takes a lot of training to get the privilege to wear the nice hats.

Spend some time to scan the posts here for hints on options to approach this to minimize damages.

lwpat

I want to plead not guilty for a speeding ticket I received in Orlando, Florida
And exactly what do you intend to offer as your defense to the charge? How long have you been driving? I have seen officers perform this hundreds of times. He also exceeded the speed limit in catching up to you. All perfectly legal. The fact is that you were speeding and got caught and now owe your road tax.

Unless you want to retain an attorney you basically have two options. Show up on your court date and negotiate for a lesser fine/points or call the court and see if you are eligible for traffic school and the ticket not show on your record. If you plead not guilty you will lose the option of traffic school and if it goes to trial you will get hit with the full penalty plus court costs. Here is a link for more info on traffic school
http://www.trafficschoolonline.com/?lcode=4013

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">