• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please advise!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

czromo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I received a speeding ticket on a highway for driving 80 mph (speed limit 55mph) in Houston, Texas. I am visiting my family and I have a California driver’s license. However, I live in NYC and I do not drive the majority of the year. I only drive when I am visiting my family in Houston, TX. I found myself in an area of Houston that I was not familiar with and it was late at night, foggy and I was lost. I started to get nervous especially when I noticed two men following me. I panicked. In the past, I was robbed in NYC and had very close incidents of being robbed and killed in Houston at a time when I lived there in the 80s.

As soon as I was able to get on the highway, I found myself accelerating the speed in order to loose them. Unfortunately, the police stopped me. I did not bother to explain why I was speeding and that 2 strange men were following me. I am trying to decide whether to take a Driving Safety Course or try to explain to the judge what happened. I also noticed that when I presented my California Driver's License, the officer did ask me if I was living in CA. I told him that I was living in NYC and studying at CU. Even though my driver's license shows my old address in San Francisco and not my current address in NYC, the ticket has my old address. I don't recall him asking for my address in NYC. I have made the changes of address to the CA Dept of Motor Vehicles but, they do not issue me a new CDL with my address in NYC. My NYC address will appear on my CDL after I renew my CDL in 2010. Please advise me!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FlyingRon

The address on your license presented is presumed to be your current address.
You're lucky this didn't happen in California. Texas is unlikely to get worked up over the fact that you were violating the laws of other states with respect to licensure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">