• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help, good kid with a bad ticket needs advice on 21-25 over

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KatelynnV

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Hello, I am a college freshmen, honors student, honor society student, with a clean record, and a never been in trouble before type of kid, the other day I was pulled over and given a ticket for 21-25 over on the expressway. I was pulled over just after (about a mile maybe mile and a half) the speed changes from 70 mph to 55mph (going 76 in a 55). I was keeping with the flow of traffic in the fast lane, by myself, I was not riding anyone’s bumper, I was not driving aggressively, just staying in my lane with the flow ( as my father taught me.) I will admit that I was going faster than I usually do, but I feel that was because I was feeling rushed because I was going to be late to a class that was staring a final, one of two exams that day not to mention the other two I have upcoming on Tuesday and Wednesday. Safe to say it has been a very stressful time for me. Being a college freshmen in college needing to keep a 3.2 GPA is very intimidating.

I am more than willing to pay the fine, and/or take traffic school. Is there any advice that you could give me? Any idea of what I should do? This has proven to be a very frightening experience for me (spent half of the day crying) and I have definitely learned my lesson.

Thank you for your time.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Hello, I am a college freshmen, honors student, honor society student, with a clean record, and a never been in trouble before type of kid, the other day I was pulled over and given a ticket for 21-25 over on the expressway. I was pulled over just after (about a mile maybe mile and a half) the speed changes from 70 mph to 55mph (going 76 in a 55). I was keeping with the flow of traffic in the fast lane, by myself, I was not riding anyone’s bumper, I was not driving aggressively, just staying in my lane with the flow ( as my father taught me.) I will admit that I was going faster than I usually do, but I feel that was because I was feeling rushed because I was going to be late to a class that was staring a final, one of two exams that day not to mention the other two I have upcoming on Tuesday and Wednesday. Safe to say it has been a very stressful time for me. Being a college freshmen in college needing to keep a 3.2 GPA is very intimidating.

I am more than willing to pay the fine, and/or take traffic school. Is there any advice that you could give me? Any idea of what I should do? This has proven to be a very frightening experience for me (spent half of the day crying) and I have definitely learned my lesson.

Thank you for your time.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
It's just a ticket, no need to go nuts crying over it. If going to traffic school will eliminate the point(s) on your record you should go that route.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
None of what you posted is an excuse or justification. One mile is plenty of time to slow down to the slower limit. And aggressive driving has no bearing on it - you violated the posted speed limit. Period.

And keeping up with the flow of traffic is never a good idea when that flow is moving at a significant speed above the posted limit - someone will be getting a ticket and in this case it was you - no matter what your father taught you.

Find out what the adjudication procedures are for the ticket - maybe you will be offered a reduced charge in exchange for a guilty plea or something similar to "traffic school".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">