• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Points transfer from NJ to IL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

christina543425

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I was in NJ recently and received a ticket for a moving violation - Failure To Observe Traffic Control Device (yields 2 points in NJ). I have an IL driver's license. If I pay the ticket and plead guilty, will the NJ points be transferred to my IL record?

Thanks very much.

Christina

efflandt

IL does not have points. Your license would be suspended if you get 3 moving violations within 12 months, or 2 within 24 months if under age 21.

Word will get back from NJ to IL if both states have a similar violation, but not sure of the time frame. Even word of WI violations (not part of Driver License Compact) gets back to IL eventually, although it may take a nearly a year (which was fortunate during the 55 speed limit when I had 2 speeding tickets in IL and one in WI).

From IL Rules of the Road: "An Illinois driver ticketed in another state that is a member of the Non-Resident Violator Compact has two options: 1) stay in the ticketing state and argue the case or pay the fine, or 2) sign a promise to comply with the traffic ticket. This promise allows the driver to continue the journey and handle the ticket by mail from home. This courtesy also is extended to non-residents from compact member states who are ticketed in Illinois. Failure to comply with the signed promise to appear will result in suspension by the home state motor vehicle department."

This is not a legal source, but more about the compact between states
Driver License Compact - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">