• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police mistake= suspended license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

edl21

What is the name of your state? IL

I was recently in a minor traffic accident. I was ticketed for failure to reduce speed.(All that happened was I tapped the side of a parked car. Two cars were parked across from each other leaving space for only one car to safely pass at a time. Another car tried to get through at the same time as me. It was clear that he should have waited for me.) I have a ticket from a year and a half ago on my record for speeding. The officer asked if I had court supervision, I told him no...he plainly stated my license would not be suspended. So I just paid the ticket. (I was under the assumption that two convictions in a 1 year period is a suspension, however it's two years.) I just got a letter from the State saying my license is suspended in a week.I feel that the officer's lie/mistake coerced me into a guilty plea. That plea should be null. I also feel that I deserve to go in-front of a judge sooner rather than later, because of this. The hags at the DMV and Clerk's office said that it will take a month to A) get the case reopened or B)Get a restricted permit. So basically there beauracracy forces me to accept what has happened. It's entrapment, is there anything I can do?

edl21 said:
What is the name of your state? IL

I feel that the officer's lie/mistake coerced me into a guilty plea. That plea should be null. I also feel that I deserve to go in-front of a judge sooner rather than later, because of this. The hags at the DMV and Clerk's office said that it will take a month to A) get the case reopened or B)Get a restricted permit. So basically there beauracracy forces me to accept what has happened. It's entrapment, is there anything I can do?
That happens all the time. Cops are allowed to lie and make a lot of mistakes, without that impacting on the proceedures and process which culminates in your penalty. Generally speaking, the cost and hassle to a citizen would be far too great for just remedy to be achieved. You will need a lawyer just to get started. Pro se people will be ignored or given the run around. That's the practical function of bureaucracy. Don't call it "entrapment", however. That word does not apply.

Incidentally, "guilty" is something you should never plead. In the first place, even though you may know what actions you took, speed of travel, turns, etc, whether or not that constitutes "guilty" of a crime or infraction is beyond your expertise to determine.... can only be found by a jury and pronounced by a judge. Your "plea" of "guilty" is merely a surrender of your rights, gets in the way of a judge pronouncing otherwise....and hell will freeze over before a judge looks closely enough into such a case to say "not guilty".

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">